The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, specifics, my 7 month old wether kid has had diarrhea since last Wednesday.

We wormed him and gave him a shot of B-Complex on Thursday.

Chip was no better by Saturday so I had a fecal run by the vet. He said there were too many coccidia to count.

The vet gave me Corrid to give to Chip. He also suggested feeding Chip yogurt, giving him more B-Complex and electrolytes. I added in there Pro-Bios myself. So, today is his third treatment. He is lethargic, he is laying down mostly but does go from one side of the pen to the other.

Please tell me since he has made it to day three he has a chance...? I was told once they go down and stop eating willingly it is nearly impossible to bring them back.

I am heartbroken over this, Chip, Puck, Lily and Ethyl follow me around the yard doing chores like dogs. I love these babies.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
What is the dosage of Corid that you are using? Is he eating or drinking? How often are you giving the B Complex?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet said 1cc per 4-5 pounds of body weight. Saturday, the first day of treatment he was still up on his feet and nibbling food. He was not willingly eating yesterday that we could tell. We have syrnged yogurt and electrolyte water into him. This morning when I gave him the Corrid he fought me a bit. He had the B-Complex on Thursday last week, I didn't have any to give him Saturday so I gave him some yesterday (Sunday). I was planning on giving it daily since the vet said I can't overdose him on it.

Now today I am at work and do not know what he has or has not been eating.

·
558 Posts
Praying for Chip.
From what I have read on here in the past, you should give Thiamine when using Corid.
I wonder if the Corid isn't working and maybe you should try Dimethox, Baycox or Sulmet??

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
I suspect because the load was so heavy it is affecting him. You actually don't want to give Thiamine while using Corid but could give it afterwards.

I hope he is does just fine for you.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Corid did nothing for my goats. I found Sulmet an the results were amazing! I also gave iron injections and B 12 as well. And my buck was lethargic and thin. Here is a before pic and 2 weeks later.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
When our 2 doelings were born it was very wet and raining the whole spring. Perfect environment for coccidia. The Mom dropped one kid inside the goat house (Astra) and the other was born out in the mud outside. She cleaned them of the evidence of being born and that was the last of her mom duties. In the evening we found the newborns and did the feedings etc. Had no idea about parasites, as this was our first experience of livestock (as my husband calls them....for me special pets)
Seems the goat farm up the hill from us treats there new kids at birth so they do not have to deal with the coccidia.

I went through this mess last spring. Was given incorrect dosing
6/12 her coccidia was 49,500 (stoll tech) treated with corrid
7/12 2200 yea huge improvement then was given wrong dosing for the next treatment
8/12 13,300 major under dosing of Dimethox (the dose amounts came from a vet)

I also gave her electrolytes 8 oz 2 times a day , some herbs mixed in alfafa , plenty of outside grazing (she loved dandelion leaves)
B-12 and Iron was also injected to counter the affects of the Dimethox which may cause polio (I believe that is the reason)
I did the best I could for little Abina. Due to the extent of the damage to her gut I kept giving her electrolytes with the probiotic for the good gut parasites. She was so lovable. But died one cold night in Jan of this year.
Her coccidia was so bad that I was submitting her stool samples so that maybe in some distant time they will have a kill drug resistant coccidia.
For the most part she was always inquisitive and alert. That gave me hope that she would survive, but not be used for breeding or milking. The cold of winter finally took her.
Hopefully you may get some ideas here and hope that Chip gets strong. I will pray for him

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
I would finish the Corid. We really don't know if it works in your area or not. Most people say Safeguard no longer works but it works just fine for me. So at this point I would follow your vet's instructions.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Karen - Safeguard works for me too.
I've not tried Corrid so I couldn't tell you but I would finish the treatment then get another fecal to see. We just had a coccidia outbreak here and are using Dimethox because that's what I had on hand. We'll do a fecal after treatment is done to see where we're at.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,084 Posts
Keep up the corid, I will be praying. I treated this year's cocci herbally ... the parasites cannot grow resistant to herbs, so if the herbs are fresh (AKA bought from a good source) and dosed correctly, they are extremely powerful. I used Fir Meadow's GI Soother and DWorm A, combined with a clove of fresh garlic. I double dosed and gave it every 15 minutes for an hour. At the end of the hour, he had cleared up and was acting much better. I continued giving the herbs every 2 hours for the rest of the day, then three times a day three days after all symptoms sup sided.

Hope he pulls through for you! It's been such a bad parasite year. :hug:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I hate to say it if he is that bad it is going to be a struggle. It is not impossible but a lot of work.
I have only used Chorid. It worked great. I would also treat all the others adults and all.
Do you have horses? If you do KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE HORSES. IT WILL KIL THEM.
Treat the whe group in the water tank

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last night when I went home Chip was more alert, not great, but we are talking increments anyway. He wanted out of his solitary confinement pen and rejoined his three siblings. I figured they have been exposed since last Wednesday anyway and I was treating in their water. It was comfort for him to be with them. He was actually up though which was encouraging to me and he wanted to drink their water (ofcourse not his with the gatorade in it, figures) and nibble their grain. I let the others out for some free graze time and gave him time to eat some grain before putting the others back in with him.

I have been giving him the B-Complex injections, Corrid, Pro-Bios, and Electrolytes. Last night he actually fussed just the littlest bit when my husband was bottle feeding him. He was a bottle baby and the bottle seems to be working better than the syringe.

This morning he was about the same as last night but we had poops the consistency of toothpaste instead of water! Small victory? Anyway, it is day 4 of his treatment and I am praying hard.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Sounds like he is on his way to improvement. I would have his fecal checked in 10-14 days to see how well the treatment worked. You may have to do another round or treat with a different coccidia med.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,084 Posts
Definitely a victory! Paste is so much better than water - I know that feeling! Keep treating the herd, and watch closely. The poop he is shedding in the pasture will have eggs, the eggs will hatch, so you'll just have to watch the other herd members, and himself for relapses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day Five! I don't think I have watched the calendar so much since I was expecting! Chip is definitely feeling better today, moving around and talking. Didn't eat much of his grain, but he has pushier siblings I will separate out again tonight so he can eat at will. Gave him his favorite Mulberry trees last night and the nicest hay we have today.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, we have beaten it.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i was told to not let them have too much, or any, grain when the goaties have the runs. stick to hay and browse.

you're doing great! glad the little guy is doing better!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts