The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eight goat-babies (all of them 3 months old) had the recommended Dimethox treatment from the time they were--what was it, a week old? 3 weeks? To the time they were a little over 8 weeks old. Once a week, 1 1/2 cc each. Yesterday one of the little wethers had bad diarrhea. I gave him Probios, Vitamin C, and another 1 1/2 cc Dimethox just to be on the safe side, even though I'd stopped giving them the weekly Dimethox dose. Praise the Lord, his problems seem to have cleared up.

This evening, however, I noticed that another wether is having the same problem, and his diarrhea is worse than the first wether's. Watery and brown; he's also more lethargic. I gave him the same treatment, but I'm starting to get worried that I have the beginnings of a coccidiosis epidemic--which bewilders me completely, because I gave them the Dimethox faithfully! Should I keep giving him the Dimethox and give it to my thus-far-unaffected babies, too? Or do I need to move to a stronger medication if coccidiosis becomes apparent?

P.S. Everyone has "good eyes"--no signs of worminess or anemia.

·
14,615 Posts
Id go ahead & give him the 5 day treatment, then treat others if they come down with it.
You might go take a good hard look at anything they might be eating which might be causing it.
If you are using the 12% Dimethoxine it should have taken care of it if they were dosed the 5 days.
Does their feed have a coccistat in it such as Monensin or Rumensin?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would have a fecal done........it may be something other than coccidia

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@nancy d--They were munching on pine needles this morning. I don't think their feed is treated, but I'll definitely look into it.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yes they still can get coccidia overload when on prevention as you did because you never did a full course (5 days). Even with prevention you need to use the full course or its not effective. Its like giving a low dose and the coccidia can become resistant to it. You may need a different coccidia med to fully eradicate it now.

But as others have said it could be something else, diet related, worms. Just a few to consider.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the poor little guy still had scours this morning so I started him on a buttermilk/cocoa/baking soda/raw egg mixture I found in one of our many books on goat-keeping. He was still having bad scours at noon but wasn't nearly as lethargic--and this evening when he saw me coming he took off like greased lightning to meet me! Better yet, it appears as if he hasn't had any diarrhea in several hours. VERY relieved I didn't have to resort to Pepto-Bismol.

I'll be keeping a sharp eye on him and his other little comrades-at-mischief ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts