Coccidiosis prevention: Herbal or Di-Methoox 12%

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mandoziz, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    My two kids are just about three weeks old and I find myself with the question on what to do about Coccidiosis prevention. I've read all about it and had planned on going the Di-Methoox 12.5% route. I purchased it awhile back. But then I get reading on Fiasco site about using the herbal prevention route and that sounds "nicer" for the kids. I also have been using their Herbal Formulas so I have it on hand (and am getting ready to start them on the herbal wormer tomorrow).
    SO, have you guys had any luck using the herbal cocci prevention instead of the chemical route? I feel like I can always treat them with the DI-Mathoox 12.5% solution that I have on hand in case they do start having signs of cocci.
    Any advice?
    Thank you!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Prevention as far as meds differs from breeder to breeder....I personally never did cocci prevention in my kids til 2 years ago, and that was because I'd bought a kid that ended up getting it and pretty much a year later when my new kids hit the ground I ended upo with 1 kid getting it...so I do the prevention with DiMethox 12%

IMO, unless you have other goats or have had cocci issues in the past, I wouldn't do an oral prevention...keeping feed and water containers clean will suffice.

3. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    I agree...If they aren't scouring and you don't have a history of some "horrible kid killer" strain of cocci...If you are worried you could get some medicated pellets for the doe and the kids to eat. Rumensin or Deconoquinate are both coccidiostats that are added into feed rations to control cocci blooms by interupting their life cycles...I feed all my kids a medicated feed, just to eliminate the possiblility...FYI..."F----- F---" is no longer in business, raising goats that is...The word is they had health problems in their herd and elimination was easier than the cure. But they still happily sell their products..Just What I heard...

4. Desert Viking Ranch

Desert Viking Ranch New Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Arizona
    I agree also that you don't really want to treat something that isn't there. I use a Rumensin treated pellet and that's it. If a serious problem develops or if I start to develop a history then I would consider preventative measures. I am not entirely sold on herbal remedies for all things. In certain situations they may work but are they really safe? All natural doesn't always equate to "all good" - and I believe their website even mentions this as well.

The most important lesson I have learned thus far is "clean, clean clean" relating to their water, food and environment.

5. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'm surprised to hear that F--- F--- isn't in business any longer. That's interesting, considering I consider their web site my second goat "bible". Hope it's not bad info.

I will continue to keep the environment as clean as possible and not do a prevention. I hope I don't have problems, these are my first (and only) kids.

But they do eat dirt like it's going out of style....can't prevent that....