The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if my doe that is 4 months old has coccidiosis. What treatment should I use? And how would I use one?

·
Registered
899 Posts
If you can bring a fecal sample to the vet you can confirm that it is cocci. What I use is liquid Di-methox 12.5% administered orally. I do 1cc per 5 lbs the first day, then 1cc per 10lbs for 4 days following. Do not skip a day, or you need to start over. I also supplement probiotics during this time. Good luck.

·
Registered
899 Posts
What are her symptoms?

If you suspect cocci, I would personally start treatment immediately. If you wait her gastrointestinal tract can be damaged, making her difficult and unthrifty for life.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Dimethox or Sulmet are good handy cocci treatments...Baycox is the best so far but has to be ordered from horseprerace.com ..well worth it if you have time to order..other wise the OTC meds mentioned..

what are her symptoms?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well she's really tiny. Like she seems pretty small for a Nigerian dwarf. And shes been having poop like dog poops. And I just want her to be treated because I don't want to wat.

·
Registered
899 Posts
How long has her poop been runny? What has she been getting feed wise? How much does she weigh?

Sorry for all the questions, but the more we know the better we can help you and your girl.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been runny for about 2-3 days. All they get right now is hay,water and minerals. I have to get some noble goat grain tomorrow.
And I have no Idea how much she weighs because I don't know what to weigh her with.
Its ok, I don't mind to many q's;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm new at this (two Pygmy does almost 5 mos old) but one had cocci soon after we got her home. I do know, along with antibiotic if it's cocci, electrolytes and fresh clean water - feed only hay and green leaves - no grain, until she's back to berry poops again. Then start grain slowly. Our vet says only about 1/2 cup morning and night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts