Coccidosis Question.....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

So im wondering if anyone here knows the number that is ok for goats to have in the poop.

I had a sample sent in and my vet said.

Lotus had an average of 1 to 3, there was one that had 5.

Beverly had an average of 3 to 4, one of hers had 11.

My vet SUCKS and said that I need to treat again, but didnt give me anyother info except that.

She did say that last time Lotus had more than 4 in each and now shes down alot so I must be doing something right.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my vet said there was 2 in mine and all was well.

Any vet who thinks that a fecal should be clean of worms and coccidia is nuts

3. TinyHoovesRanch

Do you think its because they deal with cattle and horses more? I dont think they really have alot of goat customers, unless they really are just nuts.

So I should just treat them right?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how long ago was the last day of treatment? remember they shed eggs for a little while after

5. TinyHoovesRanch

Last monday, I waited a week and then did the tests. Vet said treat them all again....

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what did you treat them all with?

I have never needed to treat back to back.

7. TinyHoovesRanch

Sulmet, 5 days, except for lotus, I did 7 days because the vet said she had a heavy load

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try corid for 5 days 1cc per 4lbs

9. TinyHoovesRanch

I used corrid the time before last though and it did nothing, would sulmet not work?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you use the it in the water or did you individually dose 1cc per 4lbs for 5 days?

sulmet does work - I just like to switch it up just incase you have more then one strain of coccidia

11. TinyHoovesRanch

I did it with a syring. The vet was really pleased with lotus, because she went from a very heavy load to a small load so at least she was improving.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hope you got your answer Laura....sorry ...I couldn't help...with the count question... :hug:

13. TinyHoovesRanch

I did, and you helped soooo much, so thanks! So you didnt know ONE answer lol I asked like a million more!

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    then do the sulmet but for longer like you did Lotus because her levels look normal. I wouldnt stress her out by treating her again but do the others who still have a higher load.

15. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok, then everyone will get done until tuesday!
    Thanks

16. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I heard/read somewhere that corid is better for prevention than for treatment so if they already have a heavy load, you need to use something else first then corid your next round. Not sure where I heard that from though...I have found marquis to work the absolute best, although expensive, it is a one time dose. It worked awesome and that was when I was in Florida where you are in a constant battle with worms and cocci.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ive had corid work for a treatment -- but like wormers they can become less effective (in my opinion,I have nothing to back it up really just some experience)

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh: ....Aww...I am glad to help in any way I can.... of course... there are some things.. I don't know...and I won't lie and pretend that I do.... I want my advice to help not harm.... :hug:

Thanks Stacey for the input..... :hug: :thumb: :hi5: