Coco is going down now

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Graffogefarms, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Coco seems to be going down on me - she is at term, her udder is not huge, in fact like Flo's was, not filling up. I have given the calcium injections. I don't want to think about it - but if it comes down to it, will the baby inside pass before she does? If not how long do I have. I am just hoping that I will see her on her feet in a couple of hours. She is eating and drinking, just not standing

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I sure hope she pulls through for you. :cry: But if she was to die, I think you have 3 minutes or something like that to get the kids out, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am sorry you are going thru this. When a doe dies the heart stops and the kids oxygen is cut off and they start to try to breath and being in fluid they aspirate fluid and die. If a doe is dying and you shoot the doe in the back of the head then her heart will beat for 1 min. before the oxygen is cut off to the kids. Very seldom do the kids survive long enough to be cut out if the doe dies on her own before you try to cut them out but it is always worth the try. You are just gonna have to cut fast no matter what way she dies.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    It is, I believe a matter of seconds. That is what I was told by my friend...she has had to do hers a few times.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH MY GOSH. :hug: I hope all is well. What I would would do, if you have calcium pills for yourself, crush them up in powder as best as you can and she will eat it right up if that is what she is lacking. That is what I did for a doe that the Vet said I really had minutes to save. She ate about 30 pills right up and started looking better about 10 minutes later.

Can I ask why you think she is going down hill? I sure PRAY :pray: that you are wrong.

Please keep us posted, and we will be praying until we hear something.

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I know nothing about your question but I'm in tears reading this and thinking about you losing your momma and possibly her kid(s). I'm praying for you and your goats.

7. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    well, she is unable to stand up,though she tries, she drags herself around by the front legs. The other thing is why are some of the does - not making udders, or proper ones, they are dairy, and I didnt have t his problem last year. Isnt the milk fever associated with goats who are heavy milkers? Coco is still alive, munching under the manger. Her due date was the 9th, but not much of an udder. No filling going on.

8. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    First off give us some history,

What have you been feeding these girls for the last 5 months?

Type of hay
    Type of Feed % of protein in feed?
    minerals

How much hay? How much feed per goat?

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Graffogefarms, Please tell us how she is doing today. I did read where you said she was under the manger munching. That is a great sign. I have heard of does that are getting a pinched nerve from the pressure of the baby. We will be praying that is all it is. Heck I will pray that she just has those kids and it is all over, and you have a Healthy happy doe that has delivered triplet does and has developed a HUGE bag. I had several does not developed a bag at all this year until after they delivered and now they have a good bags, but they are not dairy goats. :hug:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Any News yet????? I am pulling for you and Coco.

11. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    nothing yet, she is in shed with others who are due in a couple of weeks, plenty of hay, and muesli, not sure what type of hay, as we don't have our own meadow, and we have to buy what we can get. yesterday, weather wasnt too bad, so hubby and me, carried her out and I gave her warm water with sugar beet pulp in it, she drank a lot to try and get to the sugar beet at the bottom, then myself and my son carried her back in later. Today, though I am giving her the calcium, wasnt able to get the concentrate into her, as there would be a mad rush and she could get hurt. I have seen the kid move. After losing flo, (her two are doing great, the cheeky mites) I don't want to lose her.I just gave her some more calcium and brought a pot of warm water to her.

I don't know at this stage. If she makes it to the morning, and seems to be continuing to go downhill, should I go in - and try and take the kid, or call for another c-section, she is open about 2 fingers, red. B

12. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am not sure what muesli is but I can guess your goats are not getting enough calcium or protein in their diet and that is why you are losing them. By the time a goat goes down due to those things it is real hard to save them as so much damage is done by then. If you are going to breed dairy goats you need to feed them alfalfa hay or pellets 3 lbs per goat per day minimum for the large breeds and then each goat should get grain according to their condition and stage of pregnancy and if they are milking or nursing. They need minerals made for goats, loose is best. You may not have had this problem last year but they are definatily not getting the calcium and protein a pregnant and nursing goat needs. I highly recomend you go and get some alfalfa hay or pellets and start everyone on them to maybe keep anyone else from going down.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Are you treating her for ketosis too just in case? You need propylene glycol for that.

Hope she pulls though :pray: :hug: