Coco & Zeppy Kidding March 2021

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Coffee&Chickens, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Coffee&Chickens

Coffee&Chickens Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Hey y'all. Newbie here with my gals Coco and Zeppy. We're all new to this kidding thing. My girls are FF and Coco is due March 6-7, and Zeppy is due any time between March 6 & April 10. I think Zeppy is likely due between March 13 and 20th though based on heat signs and a messy rear end. View attachment 195077 View attachment 195077 View attachment 195077 20210108_141639.jpg

2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ohhh they are nice looking does! What does the Buck look like? Its so much fun! Good luck & Happy Kidding!

MadHouse and AlabamaGirl like this.

3. Coffee&Chickens

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Also I have no idea why Coco's photo appeared 3 times :bonk:

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. Coffee&Chickens

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Here's the buck. I sold him after he did the deed though. Hopefully I dont come to regret that decision.

And the ladies before pregnancy and their winter fluff..... and before we removed the tarp they destroyed because they're the reason we cant have nice things lol.

Edited to add the pics that didnt upload the first time because I was too impatient apparently and hit post thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  5. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Your does are cuties! Are they mini Nubians? The ears are so fun!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  6. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    Beautiful doe's! Can't wait to see some adorable babys!

7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Oh they are just precious! My two does are due in early March as well and it's my and their fist times too. It's so exciting isn't it? :clapping:

8. Coffee&Chickens

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    I am honestly not sure. I was told pygmy/nigerian, but those ears scream nubian to me, so they could be mini nubian. The farm where they came from doesn't keep detailed written records I guess, so at this point it's a wash of goats it seems. Im curious to see what the babies look like as well.

9. Coffee&Chickens

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Yes! Im so nervous and excited at the same time. I have been doing so much reading and research, but then get nervous because a lot of what you read seems to be the horror stories and that scares me. Im excited to experience this though. These will be the first babies born on our little homestead, so that makes it just a bit more special.

Moers kiko boars, Kass and MadHouse like this.
  10. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I'm sure the kids will be adorable! Your girls have such sweet faces. They look really healthy, too.

Moers kiko boars, Kass and MadHouse like this.
  11. Coffee&Chickens

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Healthy or robust lol. Honestly thanks though. I feel like I'm constantly obsessing about if they're too fat, too skinny, lacking something mineral wise.
    They both have flaky skin since getting their winter coats, so I've been putting TruCare 4 top dress in their minerals, but they're still flaky

12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Mine always get flaky / itchy skin during the winter. Especially when they're growing in their winter fur. This year, I tried copper bolusing them, and that seems to have helped a lot. I tend to have a lot of copper issues in my herd, though, so I'm not sure that would work for everyone. Hopefully they clear up soon! You might try giving them a little bit of vitamin E , since that is good for the skin and hair. I wonder sometimes if goats don't just get dry winter skin, like people do.

13. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    HMNS, Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  14. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, but I'm actually not that nervous because I feel as prepared as I'm going to be. I'm sure when it gets closer to the time I'll start getting more nervous, but for now I'm think I'm just excited. I read that only 5% of goat births require intervention, so that's something to keep in mind. Also having a vet's phone number on hand probably puts my mind at ease a bit. Do you have a reliable goat vet or goat mentor you can call if something goes wrong?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  15. Coffee&Chickens

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    That is possible. They are due for copper bolus at the end of the month, so they will be getting that. I may try finding some Vit. E and dosing that. The TruCare has zinc so I was hoping that would help, but it didn't really make a difference.

16. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    You can try giving the human vit. E capsules. Just open them up and put them on the feed.

17. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I have also put sunflower oil or black oil sunflower seeds on the feed. VERY moderate amounts.
    If you're worried about your girls getting fat, though, you will want to be careful with those.

18. Coffee&Chickens

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    We use a vet that does farm calls and sees livestock so I am confident there. Im sure he would come out for a "farm" call or we could load her up and meet him at the clinic if the need arose. I don't actually have any goat people that I know super well that are close, but I have made a couple contacts that I may be able to reach out to and see about finding some help if needed. The nurse at my kids' school actually has goats, so that may be an option if need be.

19. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Welcome to TGS and the wonderful world of KIDDING EXCITEMENT!
    The first time was nerve wracking for me, and the second time too! (Haven’t had a third time yet). But when it’s happening, you are just there, doing what needs to be done, which is hopefully just helping to dry off babies and dipping their cords, serving warm water to mom, cleaning up, giving supplements...
    It is a marvel to witness a doe kidding!

20. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Beautiful does by the way! I love their ears too!:inlove:
    I have a wether named Coco.
    When assessing their condition, don’t go by the sides. Feel their spine. If you can’t find the spine at all, then they’re fat. If it sticks out sharply, they are skinny.