The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Me too! I'm a first time goat mama and goat midwife, so seeing all these little changes and documenting everything my girls are experiencing has been so exciting. The whole learning process has been pretty awesome, and seeing them go from little 5 month old babies to almost mom's has been so cool.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Me too! I'm a first time goat mama and goat midwife, so seeing all these little changes and documenting everything my girls are experiencing has been so exciting. The whole learning process has been pretty awesome, and seeing them go from little 5 month old babies to almost mom's has been so cool.
That is an amzing journey, isn't it! :happygoat:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That is an amzing journey, isn't it! :happygoat:
It really is! As crazy as they have made me over the last few months makes me appreciate it a little more. These will be the first mammal babies born on our little homestead, so I feel like this journey with these gals will forever hold a special place.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This was Coco this morning. We're 5 weeks away. Should I be worried? The girls still have free choice grass hay, and I've upped Coco's hay pellets to 1 1/3c alfalfa w/ 2/3c timothy/alfalfa for a total of 2 cups twice per day. Zeppy is half and half of above
20210131_093122.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I guess it's basically showing Negative, but kinda looks like it's between that and trace depending on angle and lighting... I feel like a mother hen, but we are total Newbs at this so Im constantly worrying.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Ketone strips need to be read immediately because the longer the time after the urine contacts it causes more color change. It’s harmless.
If you were to use them on yourself every time you pee’d you’d see that you would be between trace and negative at different times during the day. For example, if you had recently had a big lunch you’d probably come up trace but after cleaning out the barn you’d probably be negative. It’s when you get into the higher values you have problems. It works the same way with goats. I hope that helped ease your mind a bit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Ketone strips need to be read immediately because the longer the time after the urine contacts it causes more color change. It's harmless.
If you were to use them on yourself every time you pee'd you'd see that you would be between trace and negative at different times during the day. For example, if you had recently had a big lunch you'd probably come up trace but after cleaning out the barn you'd probably be negative. It's when you get into the higher values you have problems. It works the same way with goats. I hope that helped ease your mind a bit.
It does help! Thank you!! I was able to test them both again at different times on different days, and the results were negative, so I feel like I can breathe a little lol.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Zeppy had some snotty discharge this morning. It was stringy and probably 3 inches long. I'm sure she's starting to lose her mucus plug since she's at least 4 weeks from kidding. Her udder is developing a bit more, but still hard to see because of her fluff.

She gave me a scare because she didnt greet me at the fence like usual and looked a little stiff when she walked. I thought her back legs looked a bit swollen too, but ketones were good.

She was up and moving at afternoon check though, and any puffiness that may have been there was no longer noticeable. I'm wondering if the extra laying around because of the cold just had her a little slow moving. Temps hit bottom overnight for us with this cold front we're all dealing with. We've hovered around zero to 3° all day with windchills at -15 to -20 so everyone is huddling up/bedding down in the hay. We're also looking at 4-9 inches of snow forecasted overnight so that adds another fun element to the a.m. barn chores

41 - 60 of 229 Posts