The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dumped cutup cauliflower and carrots, along with coffee grounds and other stuff, in the compost area.

Took the goats for a walk on path below compost, but they made their own path back and came out right at the compost. Next thing I know, they aren't moving and have cleaned out a bunch of the cauliflower, carrot peelings, and snow peas, among god knows what else.

I didn't think any of it was bad for them, but I wasn't sure. So I called them and nothing. Told them to "leave it" and "back", nothing. Took my glove off and hit them on their butt, nothing. Then I wrestled them out, but I had to do one at a time, so as soon as I got Echo out, Nyx was in and vice versa. Finally, Echo tried to eat the whole root/stem of the cauliflower and I got her and Nyx out and shook the banana cup, so she spit the cauliflower out and I got them both in the pasture. They could care less when I called them bad goats, but I did give them fresh hay to help keep their guts moving.

Looks like no issues with the cauliflower, carrots, or snow peas, but what about coffee grounds? They likely got some grounds in them, and they've likely had a couple before, is there any information on it being super bad? I checked on Fias Co Farm and didn't see it listed and searched on here, but only saw references to coffee cans. I don't think they got a lot, but figured I'd ask to see if others have had experience, negative or positive.

·
TKC Farms
2,481 Posts
I don’t think it will poison them but might upset their tummies a little. Coffee grinds might be good for them a little at a time. Just watch and maybe give some probiotics for the stomach and plenty fresh water and loose minerals. One of our most knowledgeable will chime in shortly. I would not worry too much about the coffee grounds, but would be concerned about what else that might have been in the mix and that it hadn’t spoiled so as to cause other problems. Goats will do the “dangest” things. If you had wanted them to eat that they wouldn’t.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, not really worried, but since I hadn't seen it anywhere on the edible/not edible list, figured I'd pose the question. If at most, maybe a teaspoon total, but think it was less and was what was sticking to the other stuff they ate. I don't think it was anything but the cauliflower, carrots, and snow peas, which were all within a day or so and it's not warm enough to really go bad. It was just a perfect timing of dumping it and them ending out of the woods there.

I planted carrots for them last summer and they turned their noses up, ended up giving them to the neighbor for her horses.

And a ziploc bag blew near the fence the other day, must have been there for less than 30 minutes - from my last trip out and glance out the window, and they got a piece of it ingested. So they've had bad stuff before and passed it like a champ.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Random but what about pineapple innards? Like the core? I would never give the exterior or leaves but is the inside safe? I looked at fiasco farms list but no luck. If its safe I would assume in moderation like most things

·
Registered
931 Posts
We usually eat the core ourselves hahaha but since I know they can eat it we will set it aside from now one. Every other day I split up a gallon container of mixed scraps between all 9 goats. Including, brussel sprouts, romaine, tomatoes, apples, bananas,cuties, garlic, carrots, and celery. I always check the list because I don't want them to get sick, sometimes the next day or 2 we'll see clumpy stools if it was a rich mix but usually they are good <3

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
It's always good to double check why or even if they should be on the list.
Mine happily gobble up turnips and greens cabbage, rutabagas and greens, kale, bok choy, dakins, etc. Many of these are on the list.
The reason is because the lists are old enough that they didn't really understand UC and whole foods. Nor allowing digestive bacteria to get used to a new food. So while a nice cabbage head might bloat them now, building their digestion up to where you don't need to worry about a reasonable amount only takes @ 3 weeks to a month.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My goats eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I noticed that if you give them a lot of watermelon or melon in their food, then the goats become liquid feces.
That happens when people eat too much melon too. They are full of water and a bit of a diuretic.
I go to a local farm the first of November every year as they close the 31st of October. They put all their overstock produce out for crazy low prices on the honor system of payment. I get a truckload of pumpkin, all kinds of squash, winter greens, and apples. It all gets rinsed and dried and stored in a cool dark shed then slowly fed out to goats over the winter. They love it and will often have orange faces from gobbling pumpkin!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Sometimes the pieces are too big, and they won’t eat it. They are smart that way. If you don’t know that you think they don’t like it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That happens when people eat too much melon too. They are full of water and a bit of a diuretic.
I go to a local farm the first of November every year as they close the 31st of October. They put all their overstock produce out for crazy low prices on the honor system of payment. I get a truckload of pumpkin, all kinds of squash, winter greens, and apples. It all gets rinsed and dried and stored in a cool dark shed then slowly fed out to goats over the winter. They love it and will often have orange faces from gobbling pumpkin!
My grandmother always told me, " eat melon with bread." This summer I will try giving melon to goats with breadcrumbs.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Give please? We've just moved here. We literally know nothing, nobody, or even have walked through the haunted court house yet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update - appears at least for my girls, small amounts of coffee grounds do not seem to affect them at all! I just learned over the last couple months they can and love brussells, broccoli and of course get bananas and cucumbers. I'm starting to look closer at what I eat, trying to feed me like I do them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 3yr Nigerian Dwarf goes nuts over fresh coffee grounds and I've always given him some in small amounts. It's never affected him in a bad way, it's more so a treat for him.
Just an update - appears at least for my girls, small amounts of coffee grounds do not seem to affect them at all! I just learned over the last couple months they can and love brussells, broccoli and of course get bananas and cucumbers. I'm starting to look closer at what I eat, trying to feed me like I do them!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
One of my Lamancha does goes crazy when I have coffee on my breath. She will stand with her nose right up to my mouth and lick my lips or just inhale the coffee smell. If I dare bring a cup of coffee near her, she goes crazy! LOL

My goats will not eat vegetables but love apples. That's about it. They do love beer and certain herbs (fortunately Oregano is one of them), and go crazy for ginger snaps, graham crackers, bread, donuts, animal crackers and stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts