The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I have two goat both 4 months old. One goat has had cold ears and diarrhea for the past 3 days. He is eating drinking and peeing fine and temp was 39.4 C. I’m not sure what to do I just want to make sure he is ok. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a fecal for worms and cocci right away.

How is the inner lower eyelid coloring?
Are they anemic?

Get a temp on them as well.
His temp is 39.4 C the other goat is completely normal. He is a white goat so it's a little hard to tell but his gums and eyes look normal to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not yet but I was planning on sending one in tomorrow. I started bottle feeding him electrolytes and vitamins so hopefully that will help. It’s just confusing because I don’t think that only one of them would have cocci and not the other?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Not yet but I was planning on sending one in tomorrow. I started bottle feeding him electrolytes and vitamins so hopefully that will help. It's just confusing because I don't think that only one of them would have cocci and not the other?
No, usually they both have it, but sometimes one can show it and the other is normal but has it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that is a first a vet advises and herbal dewormer!! Which one?

Would get a fecal done ASAP and give probios.
The reasoning behind herbal is she had been noticing and recording tons of goat becoming resistant to ivermectin and loosing the enzyme they need to naturally fight it off.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Oh no need to explains herbs to me I use herbal methods 100% of the time to deworm!! I’m probably one of the biggest fans of natural methods on this forum!!

Ivermectin resistance, and resistance to a bunch of other dewormers, is a real problem! They should be used very sparingly only when all else fails! Using the right dewormer, and only doing it if there is a confirmed fecal, is very important!!

However, not all herbal dewormers work! The only two I have had success with are Land of Havilah’s and Fir Meadow LLC’s. One of the most common, Molly’s, is very ineffective.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
BiteME I am terribly not a fan of. They use Fir Meadow LLC’s herbs which are great, but the dosing and frequency is wonky - additionally, the herbs get so dried out they lose potency!

Try buying directly from fir Meadow or buy land of Havilah’s!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to follow up... Winston is doing great! I bottle fed him electrolytes and vitamins 2 twice and his poop already improved. I still sent a sample of feces to the vet and she said he had a rare form of cocci that wasn’t worth treating because it was such a scarce amount he wouldn’t affect him other his brother. She recommended supplementing with ammonium chloride to prevent kidney stones and regulate urine pH but other than that they are back to healthy boys! Thank you all!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts