Cold temp up North

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by trob1, Feb 11, 2008.

1. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    The news this morning was talking about some horribly cold weather up North. How is everyone surviving up North. We are much colder this morning and while putting out hay my hands were hurting and we were just 20 degrees but I am sure the wind chill was worse. I will be keeping all our Northern members in my thoughts and hope everyone and their critters fair well through this. Bundle up everyone and put out lots of hay for the goats.

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OMG! I just got in from feeding! I'm going to go stand by the wood burning stove!! The water is frozen...I have to carry it from the house! But everyone has warm water now...they love that. None of the goats seem stressed at all...they are out of their little shelters running and playing around...so I guess we are OK here.

The good news is my hubby carried water for me on Saturday and said "Well, this sucks, I can see you need some water lines run out here...maybe we should install a water heater too".

Yaaaa!

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    20 degrees?! That's a heat wave! :p It was single digit here this morning, so cold :( All the girls were shivering.

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yea I am sure it sounds like a heat wave to some but all my goats looked like puff balls this morning with their coat a fluffed out.

Heated bucket are my best friend in the winter. If you have electricity at the barn you might want to invest in one Di.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it went down to 1degree F last night! I havent' even ventured outside, trying to get my cough undercontrol first.

12° Clear 22 mph
    Winds WNWFeels Like: -7°F
    Philadelphia PA

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I feel sorry for ya'll. Here in OK it's just been about 40 degrees during the day and colder at night. Then we've gotten lots of 60 degree days as well. Hope you all survive the cold!

7. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    Sorry to hear that guys. But not to rub it in, lows in the 60's high in the lower 70's.

8. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    It is freezing here! When I woke up it was 4 degrees.

9. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    Well I was up in Bemidgi (sp?) MN over the weekend for Spanish camp, and I heard that it was down to -50 windchill. It wasn't so bad, but we had to do a lot of running between cabins. It's the wind that gets ya once it gets so cold.

I don't know how it was here but it is not so bad now and the goats seem fine. Although I took a frozen waterbucket in last night that was only about 1/2 full, and it still had a good chunk of ice in it this morning after sitting in the house all night, so it must have been awfully cold.

10. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Aagghh! I have hardly had time to post the last few days :( .

It got sooooo cold here Sunday night. It was supposedly -40 with the wind chill. I don't even want to think about how cold that was lol.

It is still cold, and it just snowed again. :angry: :shrug: At least I am going to be pretty strong by the time winter is all over. Shoveling is no easy chore around here. I guess that's what I get for living in Wisconsin! :lol:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am glad I don't live there!!!

We had a dusting of snow and it has now changed to icy rain falling and things are pretty slick out there.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Its snowing here again, and its really cold out. Still waiting for global warming to come around :roll: :p

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you missed the new term Sarah it is now "global climate change" because they realized we are now colder then it has been and are going into a cold trend.

But the cold is actually our falt now.

Oh and the polar bears will be ok, the ice caps are freezing again

14. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Nice thing about living in the Redwoods- they have pretty much been unchanged for eons- warming or getting colder- kind of all evens out here- well maybe our issue is wetter or drier.
    Glad not to have so much cold and wer at the moment. I'm too old to cope with that much snow.

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yeah I know, they just have to find a new way to show us its our fault for something that probably isn't happening. Come summer time though, it'll be back to global warming :D

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    It's so cold! :( It's still snowing here and there's a good inch or more of solid ice everywhere.Schools been out for 2 days now and we may not go back tommorow. :cry: :sigh:

Attached Files:

17. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Yeah, it's been pretty cold here too. I have a coat on Libby, as her hair didn't come back very well last fall(mites...). Snow is on the ground....probably about 2 inches. I really dislike the cold! Milking in this cold is not fun either...heck it's far from fun! :angry: