Cold Temps and Goats wont go in!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 3pygmymom, Dec 11, 2009.

1. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    With all of this cold weather and wind chills my goaties are standing outside when I go out at 6:30 to feed them! They go right back out after eating and with the wind it feels so cold. Should I block them in the barn out of the wind??? There is an opening cut for them to go in and out but I could easily block that with a board. The barn feels 10-15 degrees warmer than outside! I do not have heat lamps for them, I read somewhere that they need to adjust to the cold weather and that they have thick coats for the cold. Is this right or should I be putting a heat lamp out for them? This is my first "goat mom" winter and I just want to make sure they are cared for properly in the cold! :thankU: :snowbounce:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats adjust better to the cold then we do.

we just had a 20 degree drop in temperatures overnight and goats are all puffy and standing outside.

If it is sleeting and raining and windy then I would block them in, but just for some wind and cold they will be fine

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH I know what you are talking about. It is so hard to look at them standing outside, but remember they are animals and they are use to it and do a lot better then we do like Stacey said.

Now I lock my goats up only because I have so many queens that they will not let everyone in the barn, so I have stalls for them to separate them. But when it was -10 the other morning, they wanted out so bad. I did let them out because the wind finally stopped.

I would NOT put a heat lamp on them, they need to be able to get use tot he weather and regulate their body temp. I would sure hate to see them gut use to it and then you all lose power and then they do not have the heat lamp anymore.

I have my does all kid in Jan and Feb. It is the coldest time for us but they are the healthiest also. (for me, I have never had a sick goat). But now I do have a heat lamp on the babies if it is REALLY cold but only for the first day or so after they are born, and a little longer if they are really small.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do what Lori does.....when I feel that the weather is putting to much on them I force them to go in and close the barn door.......especially with the low freezing temps....winds..rain ect.... when it rains though.. I don't get an argument from them......LOL :wink: ... I also have dominate does that block out the lower rank does....they stand in the door way and dare them to come in.....I stall the bullies..... :wink:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, my queens lay at the door and just dare the other to come by.

6. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    When I went in this morning, I saw that one had made a nest right near the door! I thought for sure I would find a shivering goat and made it out there quickly only to see them munching on the hay looking at me like it's about time you give us our breakfast lol. I would only put a heat lamp over top of their water to keep it from freezing. Our sheep all lamb in February and we have lost only a few but that was because they were either a weak twin or they had a problem being underdeveloped. Some of the sheep throw me off and go early and lamb in the middle of the field :hair: then i have to jump in and run out with blankets and get mom to follow me to the barn *sigh* crazy animals!