Cold temps in New England

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by RunAround, Jan 14, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So what are you other New Englanders doing to keep warm in this nasty cold spell thats hitting us and going to stay?

Or anyone else who is in cold temps... what are you doing to stay warm.

BRRR. I'm Cold! Need a little :cheers: to keep me warm. LMAO!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well i suppose i'm not in New England. but we've had -40 to -15 temps for the last 5-6 weeks. but today, it got up to +40F and was raining /snowing with 100mph winds (big change, and i rather it'd just be cold with no wind) so they canceled school :cool: . day off!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont know what the temps are going to be - kind of rather not know so I dont anticipate and get myself all bent out of shape.

brother is in Chicago, left me a facebook message that said tomorrow high of -1 windchill -30 :shocked:

4. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Sends some sun your way! I'm sorry but it was 84* here in sunny Southern California today :sun:

5. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Our weather is starting to warm up. As the snow melts the mud appears. We have a lot of clay in our mud so when we go down our road we have to get our momentum going and not stop or we will sink.
    Here in southern Utah on the plains we have a large temp change between night and day. Last week at night we would get down between 0 & -10. During the day we would get up into the 40's. As long as our wind doesn't pick up 40 is wonderful. Just so you all know we get enough wind and strong winds that we put in a wind generator. This week has been wonderful low winds, above zero at night and into the high 40's. When it gets cold we keep the stove stoked. If I can't snuggle with my hubby I snuggle with the dogs.
    Suellen

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Its -20 here this morning, and thats without windchill! Its not windy luckily. The power went out last night and froze the pipes in our kitchen and all of the goats water had 3 inches of ice on it.

Still waiting for global warming to kick in, ha yeah right :roll:

7. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    haha today I am dying in heat

It was 42 degrees celcius, with it like 107F

Plus i was at my cousins and they only have fans :O

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ahh! Not fair! I hate the cold!

I have the heat lamp up for the goats since it's so cold out. I don't usually have that thing going unless there are kids.

*(Insert a smiley freezing its butt off here)

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Today, our high is supposed to be around 5F with windchills around -15F.

I just make sure the goats have plenty of hay and I take warm water out to them 2-3 times a day. They don't seem to mind the cold as long as it isn't windy--they were all outside waiting for me this morning...

As for the humans--We use a woodstove for heat...I mean, we have a furnace but keep it set at 50F and just burn wood to save $$. It is always nice to come in from doing chores and have a warm fire to stand next too. The bad thing though, It is always cold in the morning because we are too lazy to get out of bed in the middle of the night to put wood on the fire...lol. During the day, I have gotten the temp. in our living room up to 90F but I usually try to keep it between 65-70F.

When I go outside for chores, I bundle up--wool sweaters, coat, snow pants, mittens, hat. A tip--never wear cotton (especially socks) if you are going to be working outdoors in the cold...cotton holds moisture so when you sweat at all, your clothes will get wet (you might not even feel it, but it happens) and then that moisture can freeze, making you colder. I always wear wool or polyester/nylon next to my skin because it pulls moisture away from your body rather than absorbing it. I also wear scarves or turtle necks most of the time (even indoors) because usually if my neck gets cold, my entire body feels cold for some reason.

10. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    We're pretty close to FunnyRiverFarm, so it's about the same here. Layers are a definite must when going outside! This is the time of year when I look at DH and ask, why is it that we live in NW Ohio again?

11. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    We're just hit the 60's here. But I did see the first strawberries being sold on the corner yesterday. :dance: may have to go buy some today didn't have time yeasterday. Shelly

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh your asking for it! :angry: :ROFL:

13. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Yesterday the temp was -20 and it was very windy. I had the goats all locked in the barn but this morning -5 they all wanted to come out into the barn yard. I let them but they all started dancing the cold jig first one foot up and then another. I left the barn door open but I was too cold to stand there and see how long they were going to stay out. I will go out in a couple of hours and feed and water and put them all back in the barn . I have lots of straw bedding down and I have been keeping the hay feeders full. We have electric water heaters to keep the water from freezing. They all seem to be adapting to the cold.

14. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Would it make you feel better to know that last week it very got over 40* and I only saw the sun for a couple of hours all week. We had thick nasty fog too. With the idiots who drive with no lights on and speed :roll: then can't figure out way they get hit or hit someone is they fly thought intersections because they didn't see the stop sign or light. Shelly

15. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I live in the same general area as Grandmajo and FunnyRiverFarm. The thermometer read -15 at 7 this morning. I was happy to see it get up to 0 by 10!!! My goats are all in 3 sided sheds so I pile the straw up extra deep when it's going to be cold like this and they do fine. If you think about where goats originated (the dairy ones anyway) you'll realize that they do better in cold temps than they do in hot ones. They do need a place where they can hunker down out of the wind and snow, but otherwise they deal with it better than we think they will.

During the winter I haul hot/warm water out to the goats (and other animals) three or four times a day to make sure they are getting enough to drink. I make sure they've got lots of hay which helps them generate body heat. And I make sure their sheds are all facing south so they don't get the bad wind blowing in on them, and they get plenty of sun shining on them when it peeks out of the clouds.

As for keeping myself warm, this morning I was thanking the Lord for my Arctic-lined Carhartt overalls, Carhartt barn coat, and insulated Muck brand boots. Like FRF I wear turtlenecks and wool sweaters to stay warm in the house and usually have the teakettle going to make herbal tea for warming me from the inside out.

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    -so jealous-

Yesterday it was -38 here, and today its supposed to be -34, with windchill.
    We haven't gotten above 0 in three days.
    We had to put a goat coat on Micky because the jerk Amos kept pulling his hair off and we didn't want him to get freezy cold.

We set our heating lower too, as we have a corn stove that we keep going.
    When we go out its 2 pairs of socks, sweatpants under jeans or lined jeans, shirt, sweater, winter overall, coat over that, face mask, hat, hood, 2 pairs of gloves, and well lined boots.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    a beautiful 70 degree's here in northern ca :)

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Rub it in Toth.... :hair: :help:

19. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Seriously, now say your sorry!

:ROFL:

20. RunAround