cold weather?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by morganslil1, Dec 17, 2007.

1. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    Around lunch time I took out a bucket of warm water jesse took a big drink I noticed jesse shivering needless to say I came in and rigged up an over shirt for her after I got it on her and she pitched a little fit then she proceded to eat snow.....This is her first snow. Is she ok or just shivering because of the warm water and the snow she ate?

2. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    How cold is it? All my guys were shivering yesterday. I did feel bad for them, as it was sleeting all day long and pretty nasty out, but they had good shelter. I brought hot water down and they slurped some up. Pace was also eating snow... go figure! Just make sure she has enough hay, as that's what keeps their rumen going and produces heat. She should be fine, I bet hse was just chilly, and snow may be fun for them to eat and romp through, but they have to realize they'll be cold afterward :wink: !

3. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    It was a bit chilly I think it was 19 this morning and I think out high was in the 30s

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If it just recently got cold, the goats will have to adjust to the cold, so they will shiver for a while but eventually they get used to it. I don't have heated buckets in my barn so I have to take hot water out a couple times a day.