Cold?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sara, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Thomas and Indy have been having sleepy eyes(you know with yellow dried goops), like after you sleep and they both have had a runny nose. Indy has also been snorting a bit, I'll be giving them each 3 or 4 cc's of whey tommorow and two garlic pills each. What should I do if this doesn't help?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My goats go thru the "sleepy" eyes and snorty noses when the weather changes, I've not felt the need to "treat" them and they usually will clear up when they are used to the colder temps. Right now Hank has "sleepers" and Binky has a wet nose, neither are distressed and are fine otherwise. The sleepers may just be from a dusty bale of hay and this is natures way of clearing the eyes. Unless the crustiness worsens and turns green like an infection would and the snorting is accompanied with white to yellowish green snot I wouldn't worry too much. I know I'm healthy but when I'm outside in the cold my nose runs!

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Well they both have a little bit of discharge from their nose.

4. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Get some Cough Free, and Vet Rx on hand...these are invaluable for those minor sniffles, snotty noses, and general 'coldish' symptoms. They are both natural remedies as well...so you don't have to put meds into their bodies everytime they may have minor resp. illnesses (like colds, allergies, etc.)

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I agree with what Liz said, I am the same way. I like to wait and see.

I don't like to whip the meds out for every sniffle because if I did that all the time, their bodies wouldnt' have a chance to fight off whatever is wrong with them by themselves.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Ditto what Liz and Sarah said.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    vetRx and nutri drench (both natural) are my first response to sniffles if they last more then a day or 2

8. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Ok, I'll let you guys know how they're doing today. I gave them whey and garlic. They should be getting better soon.