Cold!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Shazzy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    Well, right now we are getting into a really cold spell. It is about -10 now and I don't think it will come above 10 degrees for a week or so. I have been feeding the goats as much hay as they want and a little extra grain, as well as bringing out hot water 2x a day, but one of them is still shivering slightly. She didn't seem to grow her winter coat in as fast as the other two. They are closed up in the barn until this passes. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I can do for them, or if I should just let them alone.

Also, I have been feeding them a block horse mineral because that is all my feed store seems to carry. I want to find a loose mineral, but there is so much stuff out there on minerals it is overwhelming! Can someone reccomend a good loose mineral for me that I might be able to find?

Thanks!

2. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Hi Sam..... I have Pygoras and I feed them a loose mineral from Hoeger's Supply:

http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/prod ... t=0&page=1

We haven't been above zero for an air temp in the last week. It was 22 below air temp last night and my goats seems to be "weathering winter" better than our horses! A heated water bucket is well worth the expense too...

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes my goats shiver but as long as they don't have a runny nose and they have a shelter to go in I just keep an eye on them.

As to a mineral I really like both sweet lix meat maker and purina goat minerals

Here is a link to a comparison of different minerals - maybe it will help you decide.

http://www.saanendoah.com/mineralanalysis.html#swetlick

Some people think purina has to much salt and not enough copper but for me it works perfect - so find what works for you, trial and error is how I usualy do it.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I use the Sweetlix Meatmaker and I love it. Well My GOATS love it lol.

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    i have some does shivering to. i think the problem is the fluctuation in temperature and that some animals have a harder time to adjust to it.
    you might want to put a little bit more straw in there, that will help to keep them warmer.

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My goats are so fat with all there fur that they probably think it's 70 degrees.LOL.They have hay and grain to eat.They also have a salt block and straw in the barn.From what I've observed they aren't cold at all!

7. eliya

eliya New Member

Hi Sam. Yep, it sure has been COLD! It was 17 below when we got up on Saturday. BRRR! (we live about 2 hours from the twin cities) The goats usually do pretty well with the cold as long as they have sufficient shelter with no wind.

We use Purina Mill's Goat Minerals and have been very happy with it. The goats LOVE it.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We had to lock our girls in it was so cold. But they seemed to have gotten used to it.

I like Sweetlix Meat Maker the best for minerals :)

9. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    Well, I am glad to hear that the cold shouldn't be too much of a problem. They are closed up in the barn on really bad days like today, so no draft. It seems like every time the temps drop, they need a while to adjust to it. It has been cold, but still not as bad as a few days we had last winter. (Knock on wood)

Well, sweetlix won in terms of reccomendations. I found it on Jeffers online, but the problem is that the shipping is nearly twice as much as the actual minerals. Any ideas of where I could buy it around here? Usually I buy my feed at Fleet Farm.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try calling different places to see if they carry it or are willing to order it for you.

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I was told to use a cattle mineral like a range mineral. I cannot think of the name of it at all right now but I use sweetlix meatmaker also and it is an awesome mineral. I have 9 goats and I haven't even gone through a 20 lb bag yet and I have had it since summer

12. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    i just googled up sweetlix meat maker and they have a dealer locater on their website. There are several stores nearby that have it. I am going to pick some up today. Thanks all!

Gina

13. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    It has been really cold here too. One of my does is shivering alot too. We have sheep too so we feed Sweetlix Sheep and Goat Mineral and we give the goats copper boluses. They love it and it works well.

14. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    Hey, that dealer locator is handy! I found 1 about 1/2 hr from me. I will have to call over and make sure they carry it. I am glad it comes in 20 lb. bags - I only have 3 goats and most of the minerals seem to come in 50 lb bags. Thanks you guys! My goats are gonna have a good mineral now thanks to you!

15. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I feed Purina's goat mineral; mine love it, and it smells good in my opinion too!Lol!

As far as the 'cold'...I wouldn't keep them cooped up day and night; letting them out atleast during the day will give them an opportunity to move around outside and warm up in the sun. When it is really chilly out, mine just 'burst' out of the barn door in the morning, and play really hard, because I think they know activity will warm them up! I also toss some hay out in the pasture for them too, so they can lay out in the sun and still be able to eat.

16. minigi

minigi New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but I've had my goats in the barn day and night lately since it has been so cold here in MI. And quite a bit of snow for my nigis. When I let them out do I have to worry about frostbite on the teats or anything?? My does seem to be quite fat right now and have turned into furballs. They have plenty of space in the barn. It's draft free, but we do leave the barn doors wide open in the day with the lights on so they get some good fresh air. We also have our buck partitioned off in his own area during this cold jag. I've got some younger does I don't want him getting at. So I need the ventilation in there too!! He's a stinker. They've got good hay in a feeder, free choice minerals and baking soda and ice free buckets. So I think they're in good shape. My does should all be pregnant (here's hoping anyway) except for the younger two. Sorry to blab.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Unless it is WAY and I mean WAY below zero and they have no way to get out of the cold then there is no worry for frost bitten ears.

"blab" away, we love to hear about goats ;)

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I know im not as cold asa lot of you, But the last week or so we have been having temps down in the low teens, all of my goats have a shed type thing right now, and they have been nice and warm. No shivering that i can see or snything. Everyone has a thick winter coat on them to keep them warm.
    How cold has it been for the rest of you guys?
    beth

19. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    It dropped to -30 overnight here and the high today and tomorrow is -25. Right now it is -32. I am not sure whether or not to open the shed door and let the girls out or to keep them indoors until the weather breaks; some time Wednesday according to reports. Any suggestions? Is it harmful if they are kept indoors 24 hrs/day or should I force 'em outside for a few minutes?

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if they are happy inside then no need to force them out. as long as you let in fresh air every day they will be fine