The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age is safe to put collars on young kids for training and leading. Had to pull 2 doelings from a pasture that escaped by the ears and they and me didn't like it one bit. Still nervous about permanent collars for safety reasons. Should I be? Collars yes or no for 12 week olds?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Mine get cheap dog collars within days of birth. It is so much easier to handle everybody.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would say that you are absolutely justified in being nervous about putting permanent collars on your young kids - especially in a pasture environment. 12 weeks old is old enough to pen them part of the time, work with them on leading and training, then remove collar and turn back out with Mom. Another option would be to simply wean them and work with them. Either way, within a week or so, I would think you should be able to have them to the point that you could simply walk up to an escapee - might take a little persuasion in the form of treats the first time or two - put their collar on them and lead them back home. Just a little something to think about. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we put dog collars on them when we start to wean sometimes sooner. we use the snap collars that will break away if the get hung up in something we also put bells on everyone.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
We use snap collars that can break away too. They don't break away easy but it's so much easier to manage everyone when they have a collar.

I think it's important to know where your herd goes and if there are a lot of things to get hung up on then maybe the simple break away chain collars might be thing for a young one. We don't have a lot for anyone to get hung up on so I feel confident that our collars are ok. If we had a lot of brush that the goats were getting into, I might feel differently.

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
i have Toggenburgs and anyone who owns Togg's knows that as kids and espiecially in the first few weeks of birth they are almost IMPOSSIBLE to tell apart unless they are boy and girl. I put different colored string on my kids almost as soon as they are born. It is not strong enough to lead by, but it will break if they get caught on anything(which in some cases isn't great because your back to not knowing which is which). I put chain collars on my kids usually before 3 months. I use dog collors on them when they are put out to pasture or a month old(whichever comes first). Otherwise I use halters whenever I need to lead them

·
Registered
401 Posts
When i was little i had bottle babies all the time and i had little break away collars for all of them. Today i had the goats out while i was cleaning out the old shed and found the old collars. And i had 3 kids that were following me in and out of the shed while i was trying to clean so i just put some on them. I was like old memories :,( Lol :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts