The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that a lot of posters here "tie out" their goats. So, my question may seem silly, but I don't know so that's why I'm asking.

What do you use to tie out goats? And do you keep a collar on the goats at all times, or only when they get tied out? If kept on, how do you keep baby goats from trying to eat each other's collars?

My girls (5 weeks old) seem to like to eat anything they can...plastic, rubber, nails...I'm following them around like I did when my sons learned to crawl...making sure nothing gets put in their mouths that doesn't belong!!

So if I put collars on my girls, how do I keep the collars from becoming a snack??

Thank you!

·
2,203 Posts
I use metal dog chain collars. Big enough to slip off the head of course. It sits nicely on the base of the neck.

I either cable or chain them to a tractor tire if tethering them

ETA:
We put collars on babies the day after they are born. We need something to hold onto them with! Lol At this stage I just use a medium dog collar. Different colors. Cheap from the dollar store. They don't usually chew on each other's collars. Cloth collar comes off once weaned. They graduate into their adult dog collar. Collars are kept on 24/7 here. Every goat has a dog tag with:
Name
Birth Date
Sire

A lot of users prefer the plastic breakaway ones, the gaudy yellow, red, blue etc.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will a kitty collar work for the babies for now? The dog collars I have are way too big for their tiny necks! But...the kitty collars have little bells on them, should I take them off if the kitty collars are ok?

·
1,524 Posts
I use nylon dog collars. The ones I am changing over to are the thick limited slip collars that I have on my sled dogs. I buy new ones for the dogs and put the old ones on the goats. Nice, big, rugged collars with a 1 1/2" metal ring that makes it easy to snap them to the picket line at milking time.

My goats have collars on 24/7, put on as soon as they are old enough to be bred. I've had kids and other goats nibble on them but never chew then enough to damage them.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Will a kitty collar work for the babies for now? The dog collars I have are way too big for their tiny necks! But...the kitty collars have little bells on them, should I take them off if the kitty collars are ok?
I think they would work, since they are still small. I think I would take the bells off though. I keep collars on my clan 24/7 too. If I do tether them someone has to be home, and I just use the tie out stakes, for dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts