Collecting Goat "Berries"

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MadCatX, Jul 29, 2020.

1. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Ive been wondering, when you guys collect goat berries for testing how do you do it?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Label ziploc bags with each goat's name.

Stand in goat pen. Watch. Wait.

When one poops, take the ziploc with the goat's name - you then have two options, you can hold the ziploc or a paper bowl under the goat if you catch it quick enough, or you can scoop it up as soon as possible so it is not on the ground for long.

Immediately refrigerate. Then mail with cooler pack.

It's a waiting game. Goats seem to poop A LOT, but never when you want them to!! :haha::ponder:

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Ditto...

I know the correct way is to collect the sample manually, rectally, with a gloved hand. But that is not the method I use. I don't really believe that any additional contamination occurs in the 12 seconds between when the poop hits the ground and I scoop it into the baggie.

4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

My strategy is, when they have been laying down for a while, resting, I come, they get up to see what I have..., oh, it’s just a baggie, can I see? Can I try it? Then they pee, and that’s my cue to aproach with my baggie. They always seem to pee first, then the berries come.

5. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

My goats tend to dispense berries upon going to a new area, that's when I look to strike. Follow me down into the pasture-- berry time. Get called into the barn from the pasture--berry time. And watch for that tail to go up!

6. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Yup! I wait until they are laying around chewing cud, snoozing with full rumens. Then sneak over and make the one I need a sample from get up. After a little while they go and I grab the berries (with a disposable glove of course) and put them in a ziploc bag.
    It gets hard when you're by yourself and need to get 2 samples at once, and they both start "going" at the same time, and the other goats are "helping"! :clever:

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I always make sure they sniff the baggie first. Otherwise they will turn to look at it, while I am trying to catch berries. I use the baggie as the glove.

8. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

I don't know how you all have the patience for the baggie method! Maybe my goats are just unpredictable poopers :p I use a glove and lube!

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The things that we go thru for the health of our goats! :haha: