The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several does of varying breeds, some are pure white some are paint with a snow white background, 2 are traditional boer with redhead. The white on all of them is turning cream to light brown. I have bathed and clipped them, but no one is pure white anymore, the lone exception being my saanen buck. I figure it must something in the soil or water, but what? They browse on 18 acres of scrub, trees, weeds and grass almost exclusively. They get daily treats of sweet feed mixed with BOSS. They drink city water from a trough but also like to sip from 2 small ponds. Any ideas? Their overall health is wonderful and they seem happy and stress free, beautiful and bountiful kids, just changing colors!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Are you able to post pics?

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
I had a few saanen Nubian crosses that were solid white when born...as they got older more and more color black down the spine,, around the eyes and here and there....if they are crossed goats..could be after the winter shed their new color is showing up...;)

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a few of these girls as adults, snow white co
Ing to me, then a year later big tan and cream splotches.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could take pics of the girls now, but I don't have pics of them when first arriving and snow white.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
I bet its just a natural changing.....

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, I hate the auto spell on my iPhone!
I meant to say........one of them is a commercial kiko doe, coming to me snow white. Another one is a white saanen doe, or she was white, now she is cream. Different does from different farms at different ages come to my place white and change colors simultaneously!

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't even feel right about asking cause they seem so healthy and happy. But I want to do all I can to insure their health and I am afraid they are lacking something or are getting too much of something!

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
I think it well worth the look into...that is strange...it happens mostly in mixes as they age they can adapt in color..but My pure bred Saanen stay white no matter what so yes..that is curious...I think some on line research is in order : )
Im up for it :D I love learning new things about goats....

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
PS...dont feel bad for asking..this concerns you and so you need answers, and who knows what is causeing hte color change might effect their health in some way..so we need to find out what it is...I would go a head and post pictures even if you dont have before pix...they started out white and now they are not.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found some pics, picture one will be before, picture two will be after. You can go to YouTube and search for happy goats at sandy bottom farms, there you will see the big doe playing with this springs doelings.]

Attachments

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
The first two look to have the color in both pix..just more defined in the second..a fuzzy winter coat in the top and a summer sleek look on the bottom...
thelast goat does seem to have a bit of orangy tone to her...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts