The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Grass Sheep Goat Sheep Cloud Sky Working animal Sheep Terrestrial animal I have been studying color genetics in goats for the past hour:) and I'm still so confused.. So I have my little Nigie/Boer/Alpine Cross buck and my Kinder/Nigie/Spanish cross doeling. Yes I have a very mixed herd of goats lol! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would know what these two's babies would look like? I just was curious if anyone knew anything about color genetics? It's so confusing!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I’d say your most likely to get a solid gold like mom or gold/blond head, red head or black head. But really they could look come out any color with their mixed genetics. I just had two solid blacks produce two red kids. They will always surprise you!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've personally given up because we had two blacks have a red kid and a red traditional, not even black traditional. There was only one full black baby, from a red doe, and we had two black traditional from our red traditional doe. They are the only blacks we got from a full black buck that has black on both sides lol.

·
Fair-Haven
4,821 Posts
Color genetics are very complicated. You really just need to see what pops out at times. It can go back through many generations. I really don't care about color at all - genetics and build are primary concern. Color is fun, but I've kept a plain Jane that has qualities I prefer in my herd over color many times.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,862 Posts
Color genetics are (to sinplify) breed specific. Just like @CountyLineAcres was saying. Color comes from 3 generations on each side. So 6 generations in total..thats why registered bloodlines are followed so closely.
Like @goatblessings & @Tothboergoats said..with the mixing of breeds..its a guess what you will get. So enjoy the rainbow...they are all beautiful!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don’t really know how to technically explain it but I found out through research that red and black genes can go together. Like two red parents can produce a black kid and two black parents can produce red kids. My black and white buck has thrown all black and white kids no matter the mom’s color. Genetics and coloring are crazy lol.

·
8,336 Posts
Black doe and black buck (Lamancha) produced creme colored buck kids! That darn black buck throws all light colors! I give up on trying to figure out colors. Multi colored Alpines can throw traditional chamoise' kids. Goat genetics and colors are crazy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Color genetics are very complicated. You really just need to see what pops out at times. It can go back through many generations. I really don't care about color at all - genetics and build are primary concern. Color is fun, but I've kept a plain Jane that has qualities I prefer in my herd over color many times.
Same with me. To me genetics and build are very important as well. But thinking that about color is so much fun lol:)! because you never know what you're going to get!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black doe and black buck (Lamancha) produced creme colored buck kids! That darn black buck throws all light colors! I give up on trying to figure out colors. Multi colored Alpines can throw traditional chamoise' kids. Goat genetics and colors are crazy!
My buck's dam is an Alpine and she was a Chamoise but when she was bred with the Nigie/Boer she had him? It's so confusing!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eye Plant Sky Goat Fawn this is the doe's dam and i hope some of her color comes out of these kids :)!
Color genetics are (to sinplify) breed specific. Just like @CountyLineAcres was saying. Color comes from 3 generations on each side. So 6 generations in total..thats why registered bloodlines are followed so closely.
Like @goatblessings & @Tothboergoats said..with the mixing of breeds..its a guess what you will get. So enjoy the rainbow...they are all beautiful!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I don't really know how to technically explain it but I found out through research that red and black genes can go together. Like two red parents can produce a black kid and two black parents can produce red kids. My black and white buck has thrown all black and white kids no matter the mom's color. Genetics and coloring are crazy lol.
That's why it depends so much on the breed. In boers and angoras, black is dominant to red while in most all other breeds, the main red gene is dominant to black with some talk about a separate red recessive gene. That's why it can get complicated, since the options are endless.

I love doing research on color genetics. It's so fun! In your case, homozygous dominant colors exist, so that's why a single parent can have control over the color decisions lol. Exactly why let's say... a homozygous black Doberman will only have black Doberman puppies no matter if the other parent is red, fawn, or purple!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My buck's dam is an Alpine and she was a Chamoise but when she was bred with the Nigie/Boer she had him? It's so confusing!
Traditional markings are very dominant with boers, so it's quite predictable to expect the traditional pattern when you cross breed with them. Since many people crossing commercial breeds don't keep note of how different breed color genetics react to each other, there's no saying which parent will be expressed or hidden.

It's all based on chance!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi...
It has already been mentioned...Enjoy The Rainbow!!!! : )
We have Nigerian Dwarfs and it is always a surprise to see the colors because "anything goes" with this breed. We had one year that all the kids were black and white (out of 2 different does that were bred to 2 different bucks)...looked like little cows in coloring. Last year, our predominately white (with black and brown markings) had 2 bucklings with the same coloring as she has...our other doe had a doeling that looked exactly like her momma and a black buckling with a tiny bit of white...she also had 2 D.O.A.s :( that were very pretty...one was a silvery grey with no other markings and the other was a buff/light rust color with no other markings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts