The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you have a goat that has you stumped on what to call their color? Curious what patterns your goat will throw? Maybe you just want a second opinion? This is the thread for all color genetic questions pertaining to a specific goat you want to know more about. Anyone can ask or answer questions!

Here are some recommendations to get you the most accurate responses!

1) Please state the suspected or known breed(s) of the goat in question.

2) Try your best to get clear pictures, preferably from the side. Some patterns vary by small details, so the entire animal should be visible.

Here’s an example:
Eye Human body Goat Plant Grass

If you have baby pictures, they could be helpful as some patterns can change with age. Keep in mind that in some cases (such as combination patterns), clear pictures of both sire and dam may be needed.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Moers kiko boars - Either parents could be hiding a spot somewhere! It can hide in the white easily. Nonetheless, someone is spotted.

A few questions! Has either parent thrown spots before bred to a non-spotted goat? Do you have pictures of the doelings’ maternal and paternal grandparents? Do you have registration paperwork for either parent for me to do some research on?

Love that flashy girl! How beautiful!

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
2,799 Posts
Well I could put a few pages worth of pictures on here but I'll start one at a time.

This doeling was just born 2 days ago. I've never had a kid with her pattern before. No one is registered so dam and sire pictures is all I have.

Working animal Goat Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal
Eye Dog breed Goat Fawn Terrestrial animal

Here is her dam. (She's all black she's just dirty in the pictures)

Eye Mammal Working animal Natural material Fawn
Dog breed Snow Fawn Snout Terrestrial animal

Here is her sire

Plant Tree Fawn Working animal Terrestrial animal
Plant Tree Phasianidae Fawn Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Rancho Draco first of all… ADORABLE.

Your little doe definitely looks Bezoar, just like her sire! Bucks usually get more black as they age (most likely due to testosterone). She is likely carrying “Black and Tan” (edit: changed from Sundgau) which is her dam’s visible pattern or black (aka “no pattern”).

I will note that Bezoar looks very similar to the Buckskin/Chamoisee combination pattern. So if the dam to your doeling happened to be a Buckskin at birth, and the cape extended, she could look like a “Black and Tan” (edit: changed from Sundgau) in disguise. Then your doeling could potentially be combo rather than Bezoar. Happen to have baby pictures of mom?

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
2,799 Posts
@Rancho Draco first of all… ADORABLE.

Your little doe definitely looks Bezoar, just like her sire! Bucks usually get more black as they age (most likely due to testosterone). She is likely carrying Sundgau (her dam’s visible pattern) or black (aka “no pattern”).

I will note that Bezoar looks very similar to the Buckskin/Chamoisee combination pattern. So if the dam to your doeling happened to be a Buckskin at birth, and the cape extended, she could look like a Sundgau in disguise. Then your doeling could potentially be combo rather than Bezoar. Happen to have baby pictures of mom?
I do not. I just got her in September. I do know that she will be 5 years old later this spring so she has had plenty of time to darken with age. This doeling is one of three. Would it potentially help to see her siblings?

That's interesting to know that the sire was Bezoar. I always assumed he was buckskin. I have pictures of this guy from 5 months of age to 1 1/2 years old but since he's not the one in question I don't think that would help.

I know nothing about the color genetics in my herd so I have much more to come lol. I forgot to mention that all my goats are Kinders which are composed of Pygmies and Nubians so really anything goes color-wise.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Rancho Draco so what makes kinders tricky is that Bezoar is very common in Nubians, but the Buckskin/Chamoisee combos are more common with Nigerians… but they can look nearly identical.

Technically, the sire could be a Buckskin/Chamoisee. He’s definitely that or Bezoar!

I would love to see her siblings! That would definitely help!

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
2,799 Posts
Alright here are her brothers. This first little guy is almost entirely black. Besides the facial markings, he has one small white spot lower down on his side and one white toe.

Jeans Leg Leaf Carnivore Grass

The brown kid is her other brother. I can get some better pictures of him if you need. He has a lot of white down his front legs and I think that these pictures are accurate in that he has a lighter colored belly. I will check when I go outside. I just had my three does kid in three days so I will admit that color wasn't something I've been paying much attention to. I have had interesting colors though so you will probably get to see them all lol.

Goat Fawn Dog breed Grass Terrestrial animal
Grass Carnivore Dog breed Felidae Fawn

·
Registered
Raising Nigerian Dwarf goats as backyard milkers.
2,952 Posts
Plant Working animal Terrestrial animal Grass Goat

Here is my 2 year old Nigerian doe. I don’t have baby pics of her. I’ve been wondering ever since I got her what her color/pattern would be called. She also looked different in the summer. Like more light brown.
Fence Plant Mesh Wire fencing Boar

This is her back in April. Her mom looked just like her and I don’t have sire or full sibling pics.
Working animal Plant Grass Terrestrial animal Groundcover

This is her back in June when she looked more like a light brown.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@Rancho Draco Excellent! This helps a ton! By seeing a black brother, we know that both your doe and buck are carrying the “no pattern” allele which is the most recessive.

Therefore, the sire is definitely Bezoar carrying No Pattern. Dam is most likely “Black and Tan” (edit: changed from Sundgau) carrying No Pattern.

That means your red buckling and doeling are both Bezoar!

Gee. This is fun!

·
Registered
691 Posts
So what would you call this doelong. I'm constantly catching her in the afternoon so there's more red visible in her coat or it looks redder and these photos then in reality she does have red tinting but she almost looks like a champagne color a lot of the time too. Her mother is a solid maroon doe with black trim. The sire is brown with black trim out of a black dnd my good buck Boon who is tricolored brown with white belt and black trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
Boots´ #1 Fan
2,582 Posts
This is an awesome idea!

These girls are twins. They are Nigerian Dwarfs. First up is Buttercup. I was told she would be considered strawberry roan is she was a horse. Not sure if that’s the same for a goat….
Dog Sky Leg Dog breed Carnivore

Next is Snowflake. I have no idea what she is lol. Please excuse her coat. She has had some mineral deficiencies.
Collar Carnivore Mammal Tire Working animal

Unfortunately, I have no pictures of either parent. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Goatastic43 Oh now those two are very tricky with the roaning and extensive white.

Clearly we have some leg striping, light coloring on her rear thighs, and a light belly on Buttercup. Her body looks red with white roaning on top. Could be a Bezoar with roaning or a Buckskin/Chamoisee combo with roaning.

For Snowflake, she is even more complicated as her white patterns cover up most all of her pattern.

To know for certain, have they had any kids? If so, do you have pictures of what they were bred to and what the kids looked like? That will give us so many more clues!

1 - 20 of 222 Posts