The Goat Spot Forum banner
201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
A bunch of goats, 1 cow, 1 horse, 1 dog and three cats
951 Posts
How cute! The downside of traditionals is that they can hide spots and dapples under the white pattern. It’s possibly coming from the dam or the sire. If there’s a spotted/dappled grandparent, that’ll give you a better idea of which side it’s coming from.
I can’t find pics of her parents 😕

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Ok I will try to find Hazels parents but I have no way of finding the sires parents. Do you think she is a bezoar/ buckskin combo still?
It’s unfortunately hard to know without seeing her parents. By breeding her to boers, a breed which has very minimal research into their color genetics, her kids could be anything from gold, shaded red, black mask, or light bezoar depending on who you ask. We still don’t know which gene is responsible for the red boer.

·
Registered
A bunch of goats, 1 cow, 1 horse, 1 dog and three cats
951 Posts
That is so interesting. I don’t know how to find her parents I know the farms they came from but Hazel is almost nine her parents would be pretty old by now if they are still living. Her dam is whisper-n-creek Daisy and her sire is southern bell move like jagger I found their pedigree but no pics.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
That is so interesting. I don’t know how to find her parents I know the farms they came from but Hazel is almost nine her parents would be pretty old by now if they are still living. Her dam is whisper-n-creek Daisy and her sire is southern bell move like jagger I found their pedigree but no pics.
Awe! Well I am sure there’s Bezoar. Just not sure if there’s a combo. It’s one of the most common nubian patterns.

·
Registered
I've got a mixed herd of registered Mini Nubians and unregistered Mini Nubian/Alpine/Kiko mixes.
1,348 Posts
Thanks so much! So is Kombucha black with the red cheek pattern gene? His daughter has red on her body also - I'm told she is mahogany, which I'm guessing is a mix of black and something else?

Also, one more question - Astrid's coloring is very different to the Cou Clair goats she's descended from. She's very red, while they are more of a tan or light brown. What is causing the difference - do you know? Thanks! This is so informative and fun!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Thanks so much! So is Kombucha black with the red cheek pattern gene? His daughter has red on her body also - I'm told she is mahogany, which I'm guessing is a mix of black and something else?

Also, one more question - Astrid's coloring is very different to the Cou Clair goats she's descended from. She's very red, while they are more of a tan or light brown. What is causing the difference - do you know? Thanks! This is so informative and fun!
Kombucha would be Red Cheek/No Pattern aka Red Cheek/Black. He has one copy of Red Cheek and one copy of No Pattern/Black.

Depending on the breed, red cheek is often referred to as mahogany and used interchangeably. However, some believe that there may be a separate mahogany gene. If Kombucha is bred to a recessive black doe, he should only be able to produce Red Cheek or Black. If the dam isn’t black, then you could get combination patterns with Red Cheek.

Pheomelanin (the yellow/tan/red pigment) seems to be inherited separately from the pattern. For example, if you’re breeding Kombucha (who has a darker pheomelanin - the red on his cheeks) to a doe that has light pheomelanin (light tan body), you could get a variety of different shades. The Agouti pattern is responsible for distributing the pheomelanin on the body, not necessarily determining the shade. Hope that isn’t confusing!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Since no one else has questions yet…
View attachment 234869

So I know his color is black and white but is there something deeper to his colors? Something more scientific?
Nope! That is the most recessive pattern. He isn’t hiding anything. Just two copies of “No pattern” aka “black”. His genotype of the Agouti, Brown, and Extension Locus would be:

E+E+ A(a)A(a) B+B+

Mammal Gesture Font Dog breed Working animal

Now if we were talking about dominant black, then we would be opening another can of worms. I don’t believe I’ve seen any documented examples in any breeds others than Boers (which likely came from Spanish) and Angoras.

201 - 218 of 218 Posts