Color patterns-what is dominat? What can come out? How far can color go back?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Jarrod & Jody, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    we raise Nubians, one of the many reasons is the colors that can come out. My buck is blue roan, my does are black and white , cream, blue roan, moon spotted black, solid white, and fawn. Any ideas what could come out?

Attached Files:

2. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    You could get any color and combination there is, really. It’s always a guessing game!

One of my does is almost solid black with frosted ears, but both of her parents were solid brown with frosted ears. So what I’m saying is, color can also come from grandparents/great grandparents.

Jarrod & Jody likes this.

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

How are Nubians and Nigerian Dwarves like Christmas Presents? They are gorgeously wrapped.

4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    One reason that I'm not into Sannens (even though they are lovely in their own way) is that I LOVE playing the color game!!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, it is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get ;)

6. Old Post Farm

Old Post Farm Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Middle Of Nowhere
    i love my saanens but i love color too, so i am adding some crosses

7. You will never know.

I bred my solid white mini-nubian last year to a solid black (with a bit of brown) buck. She had twin doelings and both were solid white. Her sire also was solid white which I assumed played a part in it. Her half-sister (same sire) was bred to the same buck, she produced a white and cream doeling. My other doe is a full sister to the first doe and half to the second...she's fawn colored, bred to the same buck and we got a brown with black accented doeling.

This year she is bred to a blue-roan, so hoping for some roan babies. We have a varied mix of colors with our newest additions (red roan and blk roan (bred to a blue roan) and a buckling with moon-spotting in his background.

8. mariarose

I wish I had a blue goat

9. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Don’t get me wrong, color is SO much fun, but this year, I’ve been focusing much more on quality than color. A young Nubian doe I bought back in August is actually my LEAST favorite color that a Nubian can be, she’s the one I mentioned earlier, she’s almost solid black with frosted ears. She’s super sweet though, with amazing milk and show lines behind her, so I’m excited for the upcoming breeding season. She should be due in early February. :)

10. This is us as well. Color is the last thing on our list when looking for ours. But we managed to find a couple really nice colored ones. I actually prefer the more solid ones myself.

11. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

To the best of my understanding, with Nigerians at least, gold is a dominant color and buckskin a dominant pattern. I've heard black is recessive. Not really sure how any other colors/patterns factor in, except that both moonspots and blue eyes are dominant genes, so at least one parent must have those traits for the offspring to inherit them. It really is a grab bag though. My newest buck is from great lines but is a a plain, boring ol' solid buckskin. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll likely get mostly buckskin kids from him, but my does are all different colors, so you just never know!

mariarose likes this.
  12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    in my experience, blue eyes are dominant because out of 5 does, they ALL have blue eyes. both mammas are blue eyed but the doelings had a brown eyed daddy and he had a blue eyed mom and brown eyed daddy. one of the does had a brown eyed mom and dad and still got blue eyes... in my experience

13. mariarose

Yes, in goats, simplistically, blue eyes dominate.

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    you don't like buckskins!! i love them, but i dont have one but one of my does had a mom who threw buckskins i had that mom but she passed, but she did throw a few buckskins but sadly they were all bucklings so i couldnt keep them

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have a tan Lamancha buck. No matter who he is bred to, the kids are either tan or white. Black does, tan kids, chamoise, tan kids! I had 20 kids born from him, all were tan or white, EXCEPT the tan Lamancha doe I bred him to, she had a black doe kid! Really!

minibarn, Sfgwife and Goat_Scout like this.
  16. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    White is a dominant color. Most white goats will produce white kids or cream colored ones, though once in a while color will pop out.

My Lamancha buck is gold and white. Almost all of his kids are gold and white, solid gold or cream no matter what the dam is. The only exception is this one doe who obviously came from Togg genetics way, way back. She and all her kids are that pretty Togg brown with white, except this year she had a black with cream markings buck.

17. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I love my fawn colored doe I can’t wait to breed her to my blue roan!!

18. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I love the buckskins

19. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma