color question

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kritterkeeper, Jan 8, 2009.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    If my doe is Black (note frosted ears & muzzle) and I am breeding her to Caramel what color babies do you think I will end up with?

Donna B
    Lone Pine Acres
    Home to 10 happy goats

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I believe Frosting is a dominant trait, so you could expect that.
    Im not sure about an actual color though.

For horses they have a color prediction generator- you plug in the parents colors and homo/hetero stats and it gives you the percentages you will get for colors of the foal, I have yet to find anything like that for goats though!

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    To be honest... you never really know.

In my own personal experience though, I have found that if one of the parents is black the the kid will usually have aleast SOME black on it. Black seems to be pretty dominant. I had one black doe that would ALWAYS have atleast one black baby. If she had twins then one would be black and the other would be a different color. I had another black Pygmy Doe usually had black babies.... so in my experience black is a very dominant color. But I am sure there are others on here who know a little more about genetics that can give you better answers :greengrin:

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Yup agree, you never really know but when I get some time this evening I'll post the colors that I got out of my buck and black does....I was very proud of Cocoa...too bad he was related to everyone (ended up keeping his daughters) so I had to move on and buy another buck.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    At least 50% caramel. Do you know what color the buck's parents were? He received at least one copy of caramel from one parent. If both were caramel then he "could" be homozygous for caramel (means he has two copies of caramel and would always produce it). But if one of his parents was black he would carry black and you'd get 50/50 black and caramel kids.

You never really know for sure with goats though. Especially with animals of unknown backgrounds or origins. There are some very dark versions of other colors so if you doe is actually another almost black color then she could also chip in more color to the equation.