Color Question?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TexasRanger, Nov 28, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    How rare are all black goats? I saw the thread on Black Alpines, so I know there are some out there. I've never seen one in person. I think black goats look stunning, to bad I can't seem to be able to find one. :shrug:

Also, how often do you get "mini me" kids? Kids that look exactly, coloring wise, like one of the parents? Not talking solids.

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I've seen a few black goats here and there. I don't think they're unusual or rare really.

As for mini-mes, my doe Hope really likes to throw her coloring and pattern. It hasn't been perfect of course, but they're all very similar.

3. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Funny, I have honestly never seen any. This is probably strange, but someday I would love to find a black, baldy faced goat. (White face).

I just wish someday Snicks would give me a buckskin or Mish a belted gray.

We seem to be finding each other a lot, don't we? :hi5:

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Well we are nearly neighbors! It's good to know your goatie friends who aren't TOO Far away, right? :D

5. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I just wish you where closer. :( I really don't have a "mentor". In my area most goats live in feral herds or live only long enough to end up in a tortilla. The only vet in the area who knows anything about goats, is almost 20 miles away and loves vacations. :roll:

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I know it's a bummer. I love having close goatie pals but my closest one is about 30minutes away.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I see a fair amount of black goats. I have a few solid colored nigerians, including one of my bucks. I wouldn't say they are real common, but they aren't rare either.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some does are known for throwing their color pattern, it also depends on how dominant the gene is and what color gene the buck is and what he is carrying.

A good number of my does pass on their color patterns to one or more of their kids each kidding.