Color Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by milkmaid, Feb 13, 2011.

1. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

My black doe, Helen, has some brown hairs mixed with her black hairs, making her look a very dark, almost coppery, brown. Her son, Hans, is black and tan, and his black areas are similar. Is there a name for this color?
    Helen:
    [​IMG]
    Hans:
    [​IMG]

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't know about a name, but they are very pretty.

Jan

3. milkmaid

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Helen may be a little copper deficient giving her the rust look. If not, i'm not sure. Could be a chocolate that looks mostly black, or a chamoisee with a lot of black covering it...what were her sire/dam colors?

Hans would be sundgau.

5. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Really KW Farms? I would have thought Hans would be simply Black and Tan. I thought Sundgau was just for black and white goats, the same pattern but not color?

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Are you thinking of swiss marked? Sungau can come is a few variations, if you wanted to get technical though, you could call him "black and tan sundgau".

7. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I have no clue but I am in love with that wether! He is the cutest ever but maybe I like him so much cause he has reverse oberhasli colors. What ever color you call him, I think CUTE would be sufficient. :ROFL:

8. milkmaid

:D

I'm really wondering about the brown hairs mixed with the black. Hans was almost entirely brown when he was a kid. Most black and tans are black and tan from the beginning, aren't they?