Colors

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PotterWatch, Feb 26, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    How do you know what colors to call your goats? I have heard of buckskin, roan, cou blanc, etc. But I don't know what they all mean. What if you have one that doesn't fall into one of those categories? I have a doeling that I am not sure what to call her. I suppose I could just call her tan or brown, but that doesnt' really fit, and she had a dorsal stripe and some stripes on her face. I had a color suggestion on another board, but I thought I would ask here as well. What color would you call her?:

*I find horse colors so much easier!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    she's got pretty close markings to my kabooki ( see picture posted below) and they say kabooki is a broken chamoisse

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Very similar colors! Thanks!

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    you are welcome.

now nigerian chamoisees are very different

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    horses are definitely easier to color code...LOL :wink: :greengrin:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK Heather. Where are you located at? I ask because what is that green stuff? Is that Grass? WOW I have not seen that in a while. We are so dry here and have been for a few years.

You goats are very cute.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if i remember right she's in pomona

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Yeah, we have that green stuff year-round. I wish it were covered in white part of the year...

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    watch what you wish for!

She is not Chamoisee but I have no idea what color she would be called :shrug:

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
  11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ok so i forwardede it to my ex-dairy judge friend and she said its a red based chamoisee. she said the red makes the dorsal and points faded, kind of like a dilute of the original chamoisee giving her a solid appearing color..

after i read this i went duoy!! i have a red based chamoisee!! lilbit

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

chamoisee can really be any shade of brown red ar tan. With black white cream or red points. At least in alpines...All of these animals are some form or another of a chamoisee.

Attached Files:

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

With alpines, most colors have french names, cou blanc is french for white neck, meaning they have a white front half and black back half. But if the back is any shade of brown or red this makes them a chamoisee. Cou clair is basically the same as cou blanc but the front half is any color other then white, usually gray tan saffron or brown. Cou noir means black neck, and they are black in the front and white in the rear. Pied means spotted, usually white with spots of color. broke is patches of white, like fire is above. Belted refers to a white patch that goes around the entire barrel of the animal.
    Hopes this helps a little
    beth

14. eliya

eliya New Member

This thread is exactly why I am working on a webpage for MDGA that explains the colors. There are so many different variations and patterns. It can be difficult to determine your goat's color! I still have a ways to go on the page, but I'll try to post to TGS once I get it finished.