The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh my goodness. Goat colors are a lot more complicated than horse colors. Can anyone tell me what I should put on the registration forms for these goats?

Mika and Suki are this color:

Their hairs are dark brown to black, but they have sort of tannish brown hairs on their ears and the sides of their faces. And is this white line on Mika's side called a broken belt?

This year’s kids are all approximately the same color, but with different markings. Sort of a reddish brown (I’d call them sorrels if they were horses), but they have a dark line down their backs, and their lower legs are black. And they have those dark markings by their eyes.

Example:

Is the term for white patches pinto, or paint? Is this a pinto/paint?

The color articles I found online just had short lists that none of my goats seemed to fit into, lol! Thanks so much in advance for any help you guys can give me!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update! That Facebook group is fantastic - thanks for sending me there @Jubillee! Apparently my does are “mahogany.” And this year’s kids are all “bezoar,” in a few different shades.

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
The red cheek gene is very rare. I would say red cheeked mahogany with splash.
The white is splash, partial belt, or belted depending on degree. So my doe is a belted black and tan.

But her daughter is black and tan with a splash

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I see! I didn’t know the term splash, so thank you for that. They did say something about red cheek on the Facebook page, but I didn’t entirely understand it. So it’s, like, layered over the mahogany? Like a separate gene just for the face markings?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts