The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering if Orla has mastitis. She kidded 3 days ago. I noticed the kid wasn’t fully draining her udder, so I put her on the milk stand for some relief. I got a full quart of yellow-ish colostrum milk out of her. No chunks or funky smell. Her udder was a little warm, but not crazy hot. It was soft to the touch, just super full. I boiled the colostrum so it would be pasteurized before I made soap in a couple days and it curdled! I’ve never seen goat milk curdle when heated unless I’ve added lemon juice to make cheese.
Could she have mastitis making it acidic enough to become ricotta when heated? Is it just because it’s still full of colostrum? I’m leaving town on Friday for a week and my goat sitter doesn’t know how to milk a goat or infuse an udder - just how to feed and water them! I don’t have a CMT kit, but I think I can find one in town tomorrow. If it’s mastitis, is it possible to give her a long acting antibiotic before I go? It’s terrible timing! I was counting on the kids milking their moms for me while I was out of town. Help?

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Did you over heat it? Colostrum if over heated will turn to look like scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it up to a full boil because my thermometer broke and it was just for soap instead of feeding so I didn’t need it raw. Good to know colostrum can’t be boiled! I feel much better now!

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
That pudding has a name, the Scandinavian name for a colostrum dessert is Kalvdans (calf dance). I can't imagine eating it, but it is used in several countries for pudding, desserts and cake. I guess it's all in what you were raised eating. Waste not want not!

Reactions: singinggoatgirl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts