Colostrum longer than 24 hours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Dec 3, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Does anyone here continue feeding colostrum to kids (let's say for this situation, it's a bottle baby and you have been unable to get milk from mom - let's say she has a congested udder - so you are using replacer) - for longer than the first 24 hours? I have been reading studies that say colostrum up to 3 days old is beneficial in dairy cows.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It won't help with antibodies but there are other good things in colostrum. I have used colostrum for a couple days on weak crias in the past. Felt that it did help with more energy.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    And did you mix with milk during that time or just straight for the extra couple days?

MadHouse likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just straight. The crias I used it on for more than 24 hours really needed everything they could get.

It could be mixed with milk too. If it is defrosted colostrum, I'd certainly use it up since you can't refreeze it.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Colostrum (not replacer) is also a natural laxative, so if you have a baby that remains constipated, it can be helpful to give past 24 hours old. If possible for bottle babies, mixing it with milk, decreasing it over a week or longer mimics what mom does naturally too.
    Additionally I have read how colostrum can repair leaky gut syndrome in humans and some goat owners use it to heal the gut of a goat who recovers from coccidia load.

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’ve taken it myself actually, it’s great stuff!

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Thanks guys - you have confirmed my thoughts ;)

8. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I always freeze the first 7 days of milk and mark them according to when I milked. I beleav the first 7 days of milk are colostrum and the baby needs all 7 days of it! I noticed an improvement in how healthy my kids were.

MadHouse likes this.