Colostrum question

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crocee, Jan 16, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    When you milk colostrum from your doe, for future use, do you strain it before freezing. I noticed that the gallon I got with the babies was full of little black specks and particles of hay. I tossed it out after 24 hours because I was afraid it could have become contaminated.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can strain it, it takes a really long time because it is thicker.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes you can,but I don't see any reason why.....if you freeze it right away...there shouldn't be an issue :)

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It should have been strained as soon as it was taken from the doe, it's still warm then and will go thru the filter if you stir it. Such a shame to have had to toss that much out, but I don't blame you for doing so.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The gentleman just milked the doe into a 5qt plastic ice cream pail that morning early and gave it to me that afternoon. It wasn't refrigerated as the temp outside was 35°. Since I am getting ready to store my own, I want to have everything right beforehand.

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    When I milk the colostrum from the does, I bring it in, strain it and immediately heat treat it. Use what I need and freeze the rest.

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I can get a couple SS mesh screens from work. These are 100 mesh size meaning there are 100 little squares to the inch. These are about 4" in diameter so they should work to strain colostrum. If that's too small I can get larger sizes but they are not SS.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes I strain it sometimes I dont. But I freeze it in icecube trays and then put the cubes in plastic bags labled with whos milk it is and what day after kidding I milked it.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    crocee, those mayor may not work, I have a handy DH that got me that type of ss mesh to try for straining milk....it did work but I still ended up with a few stray hairs that went thru. Stacey's ice cube tray idea works great also, because this way you only need to thaw a few ounces at a time as opposed to a pint or quart.

Try the kitchen gadget aisle at Walmart, they have strainers that work well...I have the plastic mesh as well as te SS...though for milk I do use a milk filter from TSC...for thicker colostrum, the mesh would work better.

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will be looking at our local (well 40 miles away) TSC to see what they have for filters and such. If I do a little at a time the cost is not so overwhelming.

Are you talking about the cone/rounded strainers with a handle at Walmart? Similar to this?

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...though the one I have is smaller and has a plastic handle.

The milk filters at TSC run around $7.00 for 100 6 1`/2 inch disks....I put them in the strainer mentioned when I filter milk.....they would be too "fine" to work for the colostrum but the SS should work.

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I will pick up one of those strainers also. I will label this one "for goats only" as DH has a few in HIS kitchen he uses to strain oil.

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I wouldnt/dont heat treat mine as I feel that it kills some of the good stuff in the milk that the babies need :)