Colostrum Question

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Perfect7, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    When a doe delivers, do most of you collect and freeze colostrum to keep on hand for future emergency use? If you do, what amount do you collect and how long is it good frozen? Do you collect it after the kids have nursed, and just sometime within twenty-four hours of delivery? :scratch:
    I'm not sure if a kid who needs colostrum (not nursing off the dam) would just need enough for a one-time dose or twenty-four hours worth of colostrum feedings.
    Thank you so much!

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

It would be better to let the kids nurse as much as they want and then milk her. It is good frozen for a long time.
    Its best to give a kid 24 hours of colustrum. :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The highest concentration of antibodies is in the colostrum within the first 12 hours after delivery... if you are pulling kids and do not want them dam raised for one reason or another it's best to get all the colostrum from the udder immediately after birth then every 8-12 hours for the first 24...the antibodies diminish after 24 and it freezes well, you can either freeze it in ice cube trays then put those into a baggie so you have small feedings and aren't thawing more than neccessary, frozen it will last up to a year or more though the antibodies in it will weaken if kept longer.

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for. I don't plan on pulling anybody unless the doe rejects one or is otherwise unable to feed them herself, but thought it may be nice to keep some on hand just in case. :hug:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It does come in handy, even if not for your own. When Binkey delivered a stillborn this past March I milked her entirely out and froze it, a friend of mine always ends up with rejected kids or newborn babies of other species and she knows that I have plenty of the good stuff to share.