Colostrum replacer help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AndersonRanch, Dec 3, 2020.

1. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Thunder just had triplets. One is stupidly small, I would say 2-3 pounds. Thunder is NOT being very careful of her, she does not have milkable teats. Will this be fine to give to the kid if I take her away and bottle feed her instead of nursing mom? It says it is made with real bovine colostrum
    IMG_3890.jpg

MadHouse likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    May I ask what you mean by unmilkable teats?
    How is she going to be relieved?
    Need to know more there.

Goat colostrum replacement would be better but, you can use bovine.

MadHouse likes this.

3. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I shouldn’t have said unmilkable I should have said I don’t have a hour to use two finger on her tiny tears and fight with her biting and kicking me. But I got the little one woke up enough I could latch her on for a little bit. I’ll keep working with her until mom is over me and then I’ll use the replacer

MadHouse likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    After a little time of using a gentle strip down motion from the top of the teat to bottom with your thumb and index finger, it should be easier after a few times of doing this.
    Then you should be able to milk normally or latch a kid on her.

With difficult goats, I am boss, they will be forced to be milked whether they like it or not.
    Tie her up snug to a post and tie up one back leg the side you will be working on. Make sure you do both sides.
    With time she will get the hint she has babies and you are in control.
    It is best for the babies to get real mama colostrum. After so long a very short window is when you can feed colostrum. Then will have to switch to milk if you have to feed any kids.

If she is a first timer and with all does who just kid,
    they are very sore and tight in the udder.
    With relief of milking some out then latching the kids on helps tremendously.

MadHouse and Goats Rock like this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Replacer are ok if there is no other way. They supply calories and vitamins but will not supply antibodies. Keep holding baby to mom is best if you can. Run a little cayenne pepper and honey on babies tongue/gums to perk her up and give her energy and a usable firm if B vitamins..then get baby nursing.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. It is ok. Can you milk one of your other girls that just gave birth and give her some of that colostrum?

MadHouse likes this.
  7. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Thank you guys! She was just not overly aggressive and mon was being a pain so I put her on Bella and got some in her.
    Now Dakota has kidded and won’t let her milk down ugh so put those kids on Bella too. Needless to say Bella is a keeper! 

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    MadHouse and AndersonRanch like this.
  9. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Thank you goofygoat i do! I wasn’t sure how much to give so gave 1cc and waited a half hour and gave another cc. That seemed to do the trick. She’s got two full girls finally. But for a half hour I thought she was just plugged. I kept squeezing and squeezing and I even put Anna’s bottle boy on her (he was so excited lol) and nothing. Finally it hit me what was going on. I’ve never had one not let down their milk!

10. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’m SO glad the two little ladies have happy tummies now :)
    You can give her banamine later Or in the morning because oxytocin can cause extra uterine cramping too if she’s sore. I don’t know if she’ll need it, but she might could. I’ve only had to give oxytocin once and she didn’t need the banamine but my vet warned me it might be needed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    MadHouse and AndersonRanch like this.
  11. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Huh that is good info! I knew oxy could be tough, but I didn’t even think about banamine to help with that. I only had to use it once before and that was a doe with 3 DOA kids, she wouldn’t push and I could feel placenta between my hand and the kid. I was trying to get her to push that placenta out of my way. Totally didn’t work but she got banamine after because I thought I made her sore. I bet the oxy played a huge part too.
    Dakota is showing no pain though, she is so very much in love with her babies. For a air head of a goat I am absolutely impressed with her as a first freshener. Heck she is even showing some of the experienced girls up on her mothering. I think she needed those babies in her life and I just love seeing her with them.

12. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Aww good for Dakota! That’s great. Can’t wait to jump on your kidding thread to see pics :)

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Great! Thank you for checking in. Tiny girl (my son just named Mini) is a tiny ball of personality. Yesterday was a rough day for her but I woke up to a super active baby. She got 3 good feedings from Bella and then I went ahead and just put her on the replacer and fed her every hour. Other then being small she is perfect!
    Thank you all for your help :hugs:

ksalvagno and GoofyGoat like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are very welcome, glad things are OK. :hug: