The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I should have put this over in wellness or not....

Anyway, we all know that colostrum is a vital first food for all milk drinking babies, it gives them antibodies, etc, and I have a couple questions regarding the antibodies and such.

Like most of us here know, if you have goats, you vaccinate with CD&T before they kid, if you have cows you usually do CD&T + blackleg and pinkeye, etc before they calve--whatever the species you are breeding, you vaccinate against the diseases that specie of animal gets because they provide the antibodies in the colostrum, right?

Well, me and my sister were talking about raising orphan puppies who never get colostrum from their dam, they get goats or cows colostrum in that case. But it got me thinking-- puppies receiving goat or cow colostrum aren't getting any of the antibodies for parvo, distemper, adenovirus 1 & 2, coronavirus, etc.

So what do you do then? In a way it is good and in other ways it is bad. One reason that it is good is because they have no maternal antibodies to kill half of the vaccine when they get their 1st puppy shot, but on the other hand they are totally unprotected, considering a fly can bring parvo in.

So the question is, can an animal be innoculated for a disease that they themselves don't get, but something needing their colostrum does get?

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
Ah, but Parvovirus doesn't kill the puppy, the secondary infection from Clostridium perfringens, type A does and can be blocked by type C. difficile antitoxin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts