Colostrum

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kritterkeeper, May 5, 2008.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    HI Everyone

My question is more of a poll to see what the best thing would be to do.

Story I was given a 5 year old pgymy doe December 31 who had been with the buck sometime after Thanksgiving till then, so she is breed and her due date could be any where from April 19th to May 25th. :worried: I think (only have one other baby so far) that it is going to be soon.. I thought from the looks of things last night but no such luck...

She is a pgymy and has never been milked- I have bottle raised all our babies. The two pgymy we got 2 years ago we got at 24 hr old and started them on bottles with goats milk from a friend and they did wonderful... We thought we would be good with the dairy goat having her baby first and get to freeze some of the colostrum but no such luck she bearly gave enough to feed the baby she had... (thats a nother story and question)

my question would it be okay and healthy for the babies to get colostrum from a friends doe who just kidded and has a over abundence of the stuff so that we can bottle feed right from the get go or should I let them stay with mom for 24 hrs? and take the chance like another friend had where after staying with mom for 24 hrs would NOT take a bottle...

How long should you give the colostrum for I have read 24 hr and 48 hrs... I would need to know how much to get from my friend.. 1 read 1 oz per pound of body weight times 3.

Donna B
    Lone Pine Acres

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    colostrum from the other goat will be fine. I did this with my bottle kids this year too. Presto and Kitten had Aspen's colostrum.

You can also milk mom for the colostrum too --- they only need like 1-2 ounces in the first 24 hours and after that it can be milk (though colostrum for longer won't hur them).

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Personally., I feel that kids should be left with their moms unless circumstances arise that they need to be bottlefed. They should get the colostrum for 48 hours as this is what they would get from mom. Even though she's never been milked, theres ALWAYS the first time, I have pygmies and ND /pygmy crosses and milk all of the does...first time is tough going but they do get used to the relief you give them from having a full tight udder. BTW....if you bottle feed to have "friendly" kids, the more time you spend with ANY baby the friendlier it is, so even though my kids are dam raised they are the absolute sweetest and very affectionate kids. It is more difficult to get them on a bottle once they have nursed from mom....and more stressful to be taken from mom once they have bonded as well as heartbreaking to hear mom cry for the kids taken from her, so if you choose to pull these kids do it as soon as they are out.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes I do recomend them staying wiht mom as well. I only have bottle kids because mom had quads and she couldnt' handle them.

The ones with her are very friendly and so are the twins on Aspen (skittish goat) because I spent hours with them when first born.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am personally very for leaving the babies with momma unless there really is a reason to pull them. I had 7 babies born this year.... 2 were sold as bottle babies. When I sell a kid as a bottle baby I leave them with mom for 3 days to get as much colostrum from mom. Then I take them the 3rd night at about 8-9 pm, place them in a kennel inside with me and start the bottle in the morning. The first day I offer the bottle every hour, usually by late afternoon they are starting to get the hang of it. I will not let them go to their new home until they are proficiant on the bottle. I have never had a baby reject the bottle. It does take time to adapt, but I use the bottles from the dollar store that are human baby bottles and then make the hole in the nipple bigger.

The babies that were left with momma - I man handle each of them at least twice daily.... rubbing on them, touching every inch of thier body, rubbing ears and playing with hooves. I have currently have 2 dam raised babies and a bottle raised - all born about the same time.... you would not be able to pick out which baby was bottle raised and which ones were not. They really are the same if you are active with them from the get go.

Just my opinion :) Happy and healthy kidding season for you!

Allison

6. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    thank you-- for all your post question how does mom react when you take the babies away...

Donna B

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well it depends if she has had time to lick them or not. If you take them RIGHT away like when they are still slimy and she doesn't touch them, then it is much easier on her and she hardly misses them. BUT if you let her lick them and if they are with her for a couple hours (say you miss the kidding) then she will holler for a day or so till she gets over them being missing

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It depends upon the mom, some moms are so grateful when you take their kids away, others don't really care or notice they are gone, and other will cry for weeks after you take their kids away.

If you are going to take her kids away, do it right away at birth, don't even let her lick it. Mothers bond with their babies right at birth so if you let the kid stay with her for a while, it will be more traumatic on the mom to take him away later.