Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by ArcticGoats, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Can Anyone (Lori or others) recommend what kind of combs they use for combing out fleece in the spring? I have an 'underfur rake' - do I need 'cards'?? Are the cards used on the animals or on the fleece for dehairing after? or both?

And if my goaties are dirty - hay bits and dirt from the hay, can I comb them now to pretty them up? or should I wait til spring?

ps - i'm taking a hand spinning class next week! does anyone else spin?
  2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Wish I could help... but I am sure someone on here can tell you which combs would best.

I would LOVE to hear about the class you are taking! Keep us posted!

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    All I use is a dog under coat comb. I prefer the ones with two rows of teeth, but for some reason they are really hard to find around here anymore.
    I try to hand brush out the goats every so ofter when they are full of hay and other stuff. The more you brush them out the stuff it will straighten out the fiber. Before I really comb them out, I got a blower and I blow as much of the hay, dirt and all the other stuff that collects, it is a really good way to help clean the fiber before it is combed out.

If you do not want to but a blower, (They are at least $130.00), then what I started out with was a Black and Decker leaf blower. It works just as good and is a lot cheaper. I do use that and the big blower every yea as we comb the goat. When my daughter and I do it at the same time.

The carders you will learn in your class are for straightening the fiber and putting them in one direction before you start to spin. It lays them in a straight line.

Good luck with the class. Do not get discouraged if you can not catch on right away. It is a LOT harder then you will think. I am sure you will learn how to spin other fibers like Mareno wool because it is much easier to spin.

Have fun. I just loved the spinning. I just wish I had time to do it.
  4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have a regular compressor, I put an "air sprayer thingy" on it and use it to blow most of the "stuff" out of their coats. I have a long enough air hose that the compressor is quite a way away in case it starts up, kinda loud. I think the tool I use for combing is called a mat buster, but it sounds like Lori's. Two rows of "stout" teeth.
  5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I use a very wide-toothed detangling comb from my own comb stores. I found out the hard way that if you brush too frequently, it messes up the fleece. When I'm out there on a daily basis, I just run my hands through their fleece & shake out the junk, poop pebbles, etc. When trimming hooves, worming, etc., I get my Circuit II blower out & gently blow out their fleece - using indirect air movements, blowing directly into the fleece as that just pushes the gunk down next to the skin & increases matting.

That's how I deal w/my pygoras anyway.
  6. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Do you think a blower would work on angora's? I also have lots of vegetable matter in my fleeces.
  7. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I've got a CircII blower & blow their fleece whenever I have them out to trim hooves, deworm, etc. I've been told to use circular motions so you don't felt the fleece. I get right down to the skin. They need it again from looking at it today.

Word of warning...... the circII is very powerful & noisy. It'd blow the goaties into the next county if i wasn't careful.
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do not know if it will work or not because of the tight curly. It is sure worth a shot.