The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for a while been wanting to plant comfrey for my goats because I heard that it was really good for them, but today my mom found out that comfrey has been discovered to have potential carcinogenic properties. METABOLISM, GENOTOXICITY, AND CARCINOGENICITY OF COMFREY.

Has anybody here fed comfrey long-term and noticed any ill affects?

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Comfrey is safe. I discussed it with Kristie of LOH and she said that info was based on a old half hearted study. She told me large leaves are nutritional and small leaves and roots are medicinal

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
So what exactly does this mean? I'm not really understanding this part
Large leaves are great to feed put while small leaves and roots are often used for treatment. Comfrey has many medicinal benefits

·
Registered
386 Posts
We have lots of comfrey. It's a miracle plant, really. The old study/ies used really high amounts on really tiny animals; the results don't translate well to practical use. It's very rich in minerals and calcium. My does are penned up with some now but I haven't noticed if they are eating it...I'll check!

It grows very easily from just a small chunk of root. Some varieties spread more than others and once established it is very hard to eradicate. If you are planting, be sure you know it's the variety you want! If anyone is in south central WI, I'm happy to share.

·
Registered
386 Posts
One of those well-known herbalists, maybe Susan Weed?, has a video where she talks about how she drinks comfrey tea every day. I think it healed warts from an infused oil I made (I was putting on pulled muscle but the wart suddenly vanished from my hand too). It's contentious, but I believe it to be safe, certainly for low dose, intermittent use, or topical. A common name is knitbone.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I checked into comfrey some time ago but got confused over which varieties are which. That confusion plus a dislike of the ebay plan-buying made me drop the idea. Which variety do you have?
I also could not find any info about whether it will grow well in the deep south.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
I have several patches of it growing on my property that I planted my first year in my house...in 1997. My goats love it and it never seemed to hurt them. I had a huge plant behind the barn that burned. Between the heat of the fire and the bulldozer leveling the barn and running over the plant, nothing killed it. The dozer managed to spread bits of the root so that it started popping up in and around the area the original plant was growing.

Years ago, a fellow goat person convinced my now ex husband to plant plugs of it in our hay fields because it is high in protein. I was against it because it would be hard to cure in the time it takes grass to cure. I was right, it would leave moldy patches in the hay. If left out longer to cure, the grass would be bleached. It was very invasive, so whoever bought our farm after FmHA took it (during the dairy farm buy out in the '80's. They pulled our loan in a very underhanded way) were in for a surprise as in a very few years it had spread. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.