The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
sterile doe?

I have a Proven billy. I have a full grown Nubian doe that has been house w the Billy for close to two months. I haven't seen any interest in either. In fact she picks on him. Last year she was with him for 6 weeks and turned out not to be pregnant. I'm staring to think she may be sterile.is it common for a doe to be sterile?

Anything I can do to get them interested? Will doe come in heat sooner if housed w Billy? Maybe its too early in the season?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We have a spoiled rotten yearling doe who comes in heat regularly but hates the buck we want to breed her to, LAST TIME SHE STOOD ON TOP OF THE BUCK SHEDFOR THE ENTIRE TIME SHE WAS IN HEAT!. Hopefully when the weather turns cold, and her heat is stronger, she will change her mind, either that or will we have to give her choice of the 4 bucks we have. So mucj for planned genetics!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They are normally not housed together. I just have 1 buck. What does lute mean? Will does not come in heat by just being housed w him even if its not quite the right month?
last year I housed them for 6 weeks beginning jan3 and she turned out not to be pregnant

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
no a doe has to be cycling to conceive so just being housed with a buck will not mean she will get pregnant.

Like I said they tend to cycle more in October to January -- she may just not have been cycling that late in the year. Also young bucks at times get intimidated by an older doe. Older does dont always want to breed to younger bucks. So now that he is older and you are coming into the right season for breeding you have a better chance at getting her bred.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Try when she cycles, she should conceive then if there isn't something wrong with her.

Have you ever since you had her, seen her ever come in heat,tail wagging, messy tail, poofy vulva, very verbal, pacing the fence towards the buck?

I agree, October to January is the best time to put them together.
For now, keep them separate, so when time comes to put them together, they will be more excited to see one another. ;)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Most goats don't cycle in the summer time, I haven't noticed any heats on my Boers and they are supposed to be year round breeders. It's just too hot, the bucks aren't in rut and neither is "in the mood" for making babies. Goats will only conceive when they are in heat, which happens about every 18-21 days when they are cycling. This is the only time the doe is receptive to the buck and the only time she will ovulate.

Goats generally only breed in the fall so that the kids are born in the spring when the grass is growing and the weather is more mild. Mother Nature at it's best :)

There is a slim possibility your doe came in heat overnight and your buck bred her then and you never noticed. That does happen sometimes. If you want, you can pull blood on your doe and send to BioTracking to have her blood tested for pregnancy.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
My boer bucks and bucklings are all ready to breed, the mature Bucks are already pee stained and stink.
It's the Doe's that aren't showing signs, but yet, they are beginning to fight more now. That usually happens when they are in season.
So I suspect they are, but not fully into it yet.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
My boer bucks and bucklings are all ready to breed, the mature Bucks are already pee stained and stink.
It's the Doe's that aren't showing signs, but yet, they are beginning to fight more now. That usually happens when they are in season.
So I suspect they are, but not fully into it yet.
I noticed my does are fighting too but no heat, is that normal, the buck is with them.

Any ways, I have one as well that I am wondering about, shes a nubian cross, her bag shows she has had kids. I did some reading and am thinking she needed selenium, so I gave her a shot of bose, so we will see. With your goat and her breed I would give her some more time, if you see her come into heat and she does not like the buck, you can step in and help him out there lol. But I bet you its coming ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just find it hard to tell. The doe in question always wags her tail and paces the fence. Ive never seen a wet tail on her other than a clear foot long string last year which turned out to be nothing. She is also one of the more aggressive goats so its hard to tell that way.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
You say a clear foot long string? That sounds like in season to me.
They have a clear discharge for a couple of days in normal heat cycles, then, it turns white when they go out.
If you ever see signs, write down the date and then count 18 to 21 days and see if those signs appear again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts