Common Rooms?

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 26, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    :chin: Bare with me... this week has been painfully obvious that my body feels sleep is highly overrated. I do not personally feel the same.

So, while I'm laying here, staring at my ceiling, I'm thinking about barn layouts. How many of you have a common room or hang out room for people in your barns? I've got two little kids that I'll be bringing to the barn with me on a daily basis, so it makes sense to me to throw an actual functioning kitchen inside it's own room in the barn. Like table, countertops, cabinet storage, mini fridge, maybe an old sofa...

Does anyone else have this or have I completely lost my mind to insomnia?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds awesome. i'd like a couch, tv, fridge and....the BIGGEST HEATER ON EARTH! its cold outside!

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow....what a barn idea! I want one....but with a bed!

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow....what a barn idea! I want one....but with a bed!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never heard of doing that -- but if you have the space and the money to make it functioning go for it! will make life easier for you

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Well, here's my reasoning behind that.

We're remodeling the house. The room that will be the kitchen is finally finished, it just needs new flooring and then once taxes get back, we'll start buying the new appliances. My grandfather has volunteered to help us make our own cabinets because I cannot find a style that I like that's mass produced. That means I'll have the temporary cabinets we put in (there was no kitchen in this house :roll:) plus the countertops at my disposal. Makes no sense to just throw them out. I'll be giving the stove we bought 2 years ago to my brother for his apartment. I'm not sure if he'd like the full size fridge as well, but if he does I'll tell him to trade me his mini fridge. So, to put a functioning common room in the barn wouldn't really cost me anymore money. My oldest will be going to school this fall, so it'll mostly be me and the 3 yr old home all day. We both love animals, so the chances are high we'll spend all day down there lol

Makes sense to have some luxuries like water, a table, most likely the portable dvd player. :p

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    and then your kitchen fridge wont have all your goat meds in it :p

My mom had to give me my own shelf -- hehe

so the house you are remodeling -- thats on your new property?

8. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Some retired friends are horse people and they built a house where the upper floor was living space and the bottom was the horse barn. They love the place and being on the 2nd floor gives them the chance to look out over the pasture ...this was their dream and they lived it ... so you should live yours !! Best of luck !!

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Yeah, I figured the mini fridge would be plenty of room for the vax's and goats milk. I'd love to have a fridge out there because I could get the milk cold in less than 10 minutes from the goats, you know?

The house we're in now, we moved in 2 years ago. Owner financing. We're finally settling the mortgage paperwork and are supposed to close soon (they keep switching dates on us :roll:) So, this is our new property. lol We've been using the shed for a barn, it's right off the U shaped driveway... but the barn is going back into the woods, as well as a new chicken barn that's already started. My husband plans to kidnap the shed once the barn is ready and use it for his tool storage/workshop. lol So he's as excited about the barn as I am.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its a win win :)

I get it now -- I remember when you posted pictures where the new barn would be... brain freeze

So how big will it be?

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Not entirely sure yet. My husband, dad and grandfather have all collectively agreed to "wing it". I've already specified I want the *whole* clearing to be barn, so I'd guestimate 20x40? A real legit "barn". lol I told them it's better to have too much room than not enough here... I tend to bring a sh*t ton of animals home at any given time :p

12. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    That sounds amazing!! Totally jealous:) Yeah I have the same problem, drugs and meds cover the fridge and what use to be a china cabinet!! Go for it, especially with little kids!

13. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    Totally not insomnia. If I had the space I'd have a mini kitchen and a sofa in the barn. Of course, then I might never leave it.

14. enchantedgoats

enchantedgoats New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    we have a 20 x 40. then had to build aza buck shed then a sheltor for horned does it goes on and on.

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have a fridge in the barn for goat meds and eggs. Know what's in it? DH's BEER. Yup, he puts
    all his beer in it, in case he wants some. Now I need a fridge for goat meds!:GAAH:

16. littlegoatgirl

littlegoatgirl Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Michigan
    It's a great idea! You can even put an old TV in there maybe??? I'm jealous, I've always wanted to do that!!!! :'(