companion for my preg doe

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by gotgoats, Oct 9, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Blitzen is my only doe due this fall. We lost her sister to pneumonia this summer. We have 2 other does that are sisters and very bonded to each other. These does also have does of their own, and they all hang together except for Blitzen. Either Blitzen separates herself from the others or they keep away from her. I have one doe who is boss, and she butts Blitzen around a lot.
    I would like for Blitzen to have a companion in the pasture while I am waiting for her to kid, and they will be sharing the barn. Who would you put with her? I am concerned about the kid getting trampled or butted around. Does she need a companion? I am curious as what you all would do.
    Is this clear as mud? :?

2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    If it were me.... then I would leave her with the herd so she is not alone (even though some of them are a little mean to her). Then once she kids I would keep a Doeling or a Buckling to be wethered off of her so she will have a companion. Doing it this way has always worked very nicely for me :greengrin: but I am sure there are others on here that will have some advice for you as well :thumb:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Brandi ........but I do have to add something..............if she has to be in the barn with the bullys.......I would make a pen especially for her ....this is at night or when raining ect..........to where .........she can still see the other goats .......... if they want to slam something ...........it would only be her pen...
    and not her...............

we had a doe they liked to pick on............we had them all in the barn...................in the morning .............the picked on doe..................had a shattered hip........ :tears: ..........so that is why I want to warn you............

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree too. . . . It would be a very nice idea to have a pen especially for her. We have that for two young does that are small and I want to make sure they do not get kicked out of the barn. They have a nice pen to sleep in at night and are let out to browse with the herd for the day. Works well.

Our pen(s) are made from hog panels that are zip-tied together. I've also heard of using duct tape for pens, works very well and easy to tear apart.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    capriola-nd.......wonderful idea's for a pen........... :thumbup: :)