Companions?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Suntoo, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    Is it really possible to sell 1 or 2 goats a year as a companion?
    This probably sounds naïve, but I love my goats and I don't want a large herd. I also want fresh milk when I can get it but I know I can't do that without babies. I refuse to send them to market.

I'm intent on training my 2 wethers to pull and/or drive a cart.
    People in the Las Vegas area need to wake up and stop pretending that goats have no value just so they can BBQ without a guilty conscience.

None of this ever occurred to me when I was introduced to a neighbor's herd. Since then, I have realized that he has no ethics and no real soul, but tells people what they want to hear.

Do I give up the idea of my own private farm?

:sleeping:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  2. FriendlyFainterFarm

FriendlyFainterFarm New Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Yes it is possible, but sadly sometimes some people don't get that goats can be pets too. I think that it might be hard but you may be able to find people that are animal lovers and want some goats for pets. Just post ads and advertise that your selling them as pets to get the word out there . Good luck I really hope it works out for you.

3. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    It is possible but not always practical. In my area, there aren't many "pet" farm animals. I would never be able to sell an animal as "pet" or "companion" at all unless I gave it away and then...more than likely...it would end up at the sale or eaten anyway. You need to check your market and see if there is really a market for that type of pet in your area. Something else that you may consider is size. If all you are wanting is some milk for you and sell the babies for pets, then a smaller size goat might be more likely to sell as a pet. Just something to think about....even though you didn't mention any breed.

4. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    It is possible, but it will take time to pair them up with a really nice home. In my situation I unfortunately cannot find homes for all my wethers -- even though I have a small herd. Either I don't have enough people interested, or the people interested would not be a good fit for them. Because I love all of my kids so much, I can't compromise on home quality, so I give them a beautiful life for 8 months (all the while they are for sale) and if they don't sell by the end, I harvest them and use the meat. It is satisfying knowing they will never be neglected, and that their lives did not go to waste. :)

There ARE people who do not harvest successfully, but it'll take some marketing and may be difficult.

I for one think goats are one of the greatest pets I could ever hope to care for.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  5. 4seasonsfarm

4seasonsfarm New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Yes goats can be pets. I know alot of people who have just "pet" or " hobby" goat farms. The longer you raise goats the more you will see other people raising goats:) don't give up on the idea of a lil farm. I encourage you to have one. Goats are also a great therapy for people. I feel like when I'm with my goats I'm separated away from the cruel harsh world.

Sent from my iPod touch using Goat Forum

6. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I have that hobby farm….now…..but when it comes down to selling those babies , it will be a plank i will have to walk and learn on my own.
    Along with my husband , he has sheep and once we start having lambs yearly , you just can't keep them all , bottom line. There will be some going for meat , thats just the way it is. I have found a reliable person who farms here on the Island that will take my excess animals to market for a honest price and that works well with me.
    But , I'm praying I can sell them to homes first and for most. But I won't compromise on that. Either they get a good home and be well taken care of or they go to market.
    On the other hand , someone that will give them a good home until its time to process isn't such a bad idea. That is some thing you can think about too. Like Danielle said , they have a wonderful life , the best food and love and have one bad day. It took me a while to digest all this when i first started. I am a firm believer that when you bring animals into the world , you are responsible for them. And to send them to market was just wrong on so many levels to me ( at the time ). Now , I understand that this is farm life and it was some thing I had to wrap my head around before i went any further with my goat hobby. If you can't get past that , don't do it .( just my opinion here ) I also remember saying that I wouldn't breed , lol. But , here I am , with a number of does due to kid real soon. Do I have a homes for them , yes , I have a few lined up . But you never know whats going to happen . You might not have any that fit the buyers wants or needs. I can only have so many animals , its just not wise to have a herd get out of control . Its not a healthy environment if you can keep up with the cleanup part of it. And of course its a lot of work and money. You have to be realistic. Im not the best person to be saying that either , lolol. But it is what it is. Your right to want a small herd to fit your wants and needs.
    But remember , its addicting and goats are like potato chips , you can't just have ten or twenty :shrug: :-D:ROFL::hammer::crazy:
    I hope you can get all your babies into good homes , but its not wrong to think about processing them either. The money you get can go to their feed , bedding , care. You can put that money back into the care of your herd.
    Its OK :hugs:

7. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    another thing you can consider, is if you're breeding just for milk, try milking through and see how much you get. some people say their goat quits milking after a while, but some people with really high milking genetics seem to have a hard time drying their doe off. if you're lucky and have the latter type of goat, then I don't see the need to have to breed every year.

people who raise animals for meat doesn't necessarily mean they have no ethics or soul. it's just the reality of farm life. some people grow vegetables, others grow animals for their products. IMO, HOW they are grown and treated concerns me more than the end reason (quality of life, not quantity...)

8. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Yes, this is true! I did it with my doe Gypsy. I retired Gypsy from breeding but we're milking her as long as she can. We've been milking her almost a year now, and she's still giving a decent, consistent amount of milk. She's not a doe I'd consider hard to dry up either.

I'll be milking Bee through at least an extra half year this time as well ... if not a full year. We're aiming to reduce kiddings and kids we have to rehome as much as possible.

:applaud:

9. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Oh , lets not get started on milking ,lol. I am extremely lucky to have awesome dairy goats . I have one girl , my only one in milk right now , that I have tried to dry up but she refuses to ! I am still getting quite a bit of milk from her and she had her baby last July :) Get yourself a good dairy line and you should be fine for quite a while before having to breed. Research what is available in your area , go see them , talk to the breeders , tell them what you are looking for . You never know , they may want the babies every year and you get the doe to milk till they want to breed her again. That could work perfectly for you :)

10. penguinacres

penguinacres New Member

Jan 21, 2014
    We live in an agricultural area and breed nigerians so this may not be as applicable if you have larger breeds but we sell our whethers as pets easily and they go to 4-h/FFA homes and live great happy lives. We've had ally of interest in pets particularly in the urban areas here in colorado where the cities recently legalized then in the city limits

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

11. TheGoatWhisperer

TheGoatWhisperer Nibbles! Not again...

Jan 17, 2014
    Oregon
    I will never sell any of my wethers for meat whatsoever. They either stay on my farm until they die of old age or they find a nice home with a nice family or I have thought about taking them to the "out to pasture" animal sanctuary that we have here...I have a feeling they would take them OR find good homes for them for me. So yeah it is possible you might just have to really dig for good people...don't give up and I'm happy to see someone else not wanting to give their goats to market :)

12. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    I hope this doesn't come out sounding like an accusation, all I really want to do is offer an insiders perspective from the "sanctuary's" point of view.

Please understand this is not a good backup plan. Please don't put more pressure on the wonderful folks at sanctuary's or shelters. They have enough work to do taking care of, and/or finding homes for, those animals who are truly in need of "rescue" or "sanctuary". :thumbup:

13. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    You're absolutely right about that. There are so many homeless and abandon animals that are in need of homes now. I wouldn't want to drop off more animals. JMO

14. TheGoatWhisperer

TheGoatWhisperer Nibbles! Not again...

Jan 17, 2014
    Oregon
    I understand that. :) But in my opinion if there was a choice between sending a goat to slaughter or sending them to the sanctuary I would not send them to slaughter just because I didn't want to bother the sanctuary because it's no different than the horses and cows they rescue from slaughter. Whoever came up with eating goats was just...well never mind. I totally understand where you are coming from but from my perspective they would be rescuing and helping my wethers if I ever run into the problem of having too many. And I would definitely see if I could find them a home myself before ever resorting to a sanctuary. And no I'm not dissing anyone who eats them it is just my opinion plus I'm a Vegan so...lol

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You may want to find out if the sanctuary will take in goats from individuals. Some sanctuaries only take in actual rescue cases.

Also keep in mind that some sanctuaries end up needing rescue themselves. Wasn't that long ago that a llama sanctuary was in trouble and about 200 llamas and some other animals were found starving to death. It was a horrible situation and took several rescue groups to come in and save them.

16. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I remember that one. I would look into maybe a petting farm or along those lines. But they sometimes aren't the best places either. That's why processing them is the best alternative. I don't ever want to have to choose that option. But there may come a time I will have to.

17. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Unless when the goats are dropped off at a sanctuary , there can be a contract in place that the dropper offer will support those goats through out their lives including but not limited to all their nutritional needs , upkeep as in paying the help to take care of their pens and buckets and hooves. Then their is the vet bills.
    And of course the needed daily attention they require. Quite an expense it all adds up to.
    Then of course there is always the following years crop.
    No reason a shelter should go bankrupt. I wouldn't drop my animals off and expect others to pay their upkeep for the life if the animal. That's rather selfish IMO.
    I never want my animals to suffer, ever ! Not in the hands of a " bad choice of a home". I rather them be put down.

18. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    This is my last post in this thread, I know we are supposed to keep it nice, but I must comment on the following snippet of post.

But you would be choosing to get rid of them...you have options.

Those animals starving to death or being beaten to death...they have no options. There is only so much room at the rescue/sanctuary. If you take your animals there, those who truly need rescue have no place to go.

And with that said, back to the regularly scheduled thread. Mods, discipline me as you see fit.

19. christinajh

christinajh Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Utah
    A rescue situation shouldn't be overburdened by a breeder who just keeps breeding more without a solid plan for the "leftovers." I know most rescues do not deal with private individuals unless you come with a bank account as well. They are there for the serious neglect and abuse situations not "oh I bred too many goats." A lot of third world countries eat goats because cows are too expensive. I got goats because I couldn't afford nor had the space for cows. I know everyone has goats for different reasons, but if you are going to breed you are responsible for all those kids either finding homes or ensuring their short life is wonderful.

20. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I respect your thoughts on wanting them to be "safe" at a sanctuary.
    It's just not a good choice of a place , JMHO.
    My best friend is a vegan , I truly get where your coming from , i really do . But maybe your choice of where to put them wasn't a well thought out plan ? There isn't a endless bankroll of funds that these places rely on , its all donations and volunteers. No one is going to pat you on the back and say "thanks , see you next time you breed". Do you see what I'm getting at ? I respect you not wanting to slaughter , but in the end , it may be the kindest thing you can do. Maybe take them to the vet and have them euthanized if the word Slaughter is too much for you . I can understand that , i hate the word myself and to connect it with one of my animals really really hurts me. I can say it now that i will be able to turn over any animals not sold to my friend who will take them to market. But when it comes down to it , I may not be able to . I know there is a limit to how many animals we can take care of. I don't want my herd to suffer because I have too many animals , its just unethical IMO. My friend takes his own sheep to market and its never easy . He raises sheep for meat , this is what he does. He admitted to me it is the worst thing he has ever done. But he does have the same respect for his animals as I do , they have a great life here and one bad day. He has had dozens upon dozens of people offer to buy his lambs for pets , or maybe just a pet for a day or two and he straight up refuses to sell any lamb he doesn't bring to the butcher himself and makes sure the animal is processed while he is there. This way he knows the animal didn't suffer and the person is legit and not looking to cart around a baby animal for a day or two till the thrill of it wears off. Then God only knows what will happen to the poor thing.
    I hope you can see what we are trying to say here , no one is bashing you or your feelings. Just think it through ;) And if I offended you in any way , I apologize .