Complicated registration

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Swayze Homestead, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Not a problem. You're golden.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Eh, depends on the person doing the paperwork.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No chance. Shell never have ADGA papers.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Swayze Homestead

Swayze Homestead New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    USA
    So here's my situation. I bought a doe with a sire that was dual registered ADGA/AGS, and the dam was AGS only. The doe was not registered by the previous owner. I got an AGS bill of sale with her. I had to chase down the paperwork for the dam, but pretty easily found the sire's ADGA number.

I sent in the registration paperwork to ADGA, included the AGS bill of sale, the dam's AGS registration (a copy) and referenced the ADGA number for the buck.

What's everyone's opinion on the success of this doe coming back ADGA registered? Click your answer on the poll above!

2. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    If the doe isn't registered in the current owners name I suspect they won't register her. And since you didn't breed her I believe they'd have to fill out the adga paperwork not you. And if they don't own the buck you'd have to have a service memo as well

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    GoofyGoat and Sfgwife like this.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    You need to get things sorted out with AGS with the doe in your name and all bills of sale/chains of custody. I gave up trying to re register one of my AGS does with ADGA. Good luck.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  4. Swayze Homestead

Oct 21, 2019
    USA
    Well, at least they owned both the buck and dam...I forgot to mention I did include a separate letter with the registration paperwork explaining the whole situation very nicely with lots of pleasantries. I'm hoping I get a sympathetic person...

5. Swayze Homestead

Oct 21, 2019
    USA
    So you think I need to register her with AGS first, then try with ADGA? The other doe I purchased with her was already AGS registered, so she was simple to have transferred over to ADGA. That came back no problem.

6. bisonviewfarm

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    Pleasantries and an explanation unfortunately won't help that's not how registries work . You really have to get the paperwork in order. Doe registered in her current owners name ( and the buck to if he's not) then they have to fill out and sign the paper work not you you . I didn't have any problem registering a kid adga with an ags dam and adga sire but I owned both and all paperwork was in order

GoofyGoat and Sfgwife like this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Yes, you have to have her registered with AGS first, then reregister with ADGA.

Ashlynn likes this.
  8. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

I agree with the above. The breeder has to be the one to register the goat. They might be able to sign registration application papers and give them to you to send in though. I don't know if the dam being AGS only would be a problem. They honor each other's registries, and I did it once a long time ago, but I don't remember if the dam needed to be dual registered first.

If they let just anyone register a goat, it could cause all kids of problems, especially in the case of goats the breeder didn't intend to register. For example, I have a goat from wonderful bloodlines, but she has a split teat. I'm selling her without registration as a pet. Someone could easily go to my website and find her sire and dam and all the information needed to fill out a registration form (or even falsify any missing information) but without my signature and member number, ADGA won't accept her application.

Do you still have contact with the person you got the doe from? Easiest thing would be to get them to register your doe with AGS, then you'd use your bill of sale and the AGS registration to get her registered with ADGA.

Ashlynn and bisonviewfarm like this.
  9. Swayze Homestead

Oct 21, 2019
    USA
    Well, unfortunately, the previous owner is hard to work with/communicate with, so getting her to register this goat would be impossible.

10. bisonviewfarm

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    Th
    Then your out of luck :( .

11. Swayze Homestead

Oct 21, 2019
    USA
    Yeah that's what I figured...On a completely unrelated topic, anyone interested in a doe?

12. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Just try, fill out the registration for the doe and the kid plus transfer. Ask her for 3 signatures and you'll be good to go if you pay for it. I would give her back the registration on her doe for good faith.

Swayze Homestead likes this.
  13. Swayze Homestead

Oct 21, 2019
    USA
    Well, they registered her. Got it back yesterday. Guess I had enough paperwork to make it happen...

GoofyGoat likes this.
  14. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you got lucky. The doe I tried to reregister with ADGA had way more paperwork and they still wanted more. I gave up and sold her as AGS only. Glad it worked out for you.

15. Swayze Homestead

Oct 21, 2019
    USA
    Yeah I probably was. Funny thing is, the didn't use my herd name or my requested name. They used the AGS name on the bill of sale...

16. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I've registered several goats with AGS registrations with ADGA, you need a copy of the papers and a paper from AGS with all the previous owners listed.

With a goat that has 1 parent AGS and 1 ADGA, you send in a copy of the AGS parents paper along with the goat you are registerings' registration papers or application. The parents papers need to be in the current owners name, or at least have matching owners names and the transfer section filled out and signed.