Compressing pictures

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ChestnutGrove, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I was not sure where to post this question so I thought maybe this forum since it is goat related as I take pictures of my goats.

My problem is - my pictures are too large KB wise - I can make them small enough for an avitar but they are still to large KB wise to download onto my website so I can link too it :hair:

My problem started with the fact I had to buy a new digital camera - I like the camera - takes nice pictures - it is a Kodak Z1285 12 mega pixels - I really like the detailing it gets (my desktop wallpaper is over my little Lovebird and it was a picture taken by the new camera and I can see the detailing on each feather which I love).

The lowest I have gotten it saved pictures to has been around 74kbs - but it is fussy but that is still too big for my website. I have pictures already on my site that look nice taken with my old camera that is no longer usable and pictures I have scanned. So I do not have a problem with the size limit on the pictures - I think that is a good thing for people on dial up (I know we JUST got DSL) and makes the site load much faster. I have gone into stores and asked about products and the people were useless - their suggestion was to tell the webhost to up the size of the photos - but I do not have a problem with the size limitation.

I already have pictures that I cannot take again that I need to compress - what program can do that for me (or even better - is there a free place I can do it).

I need to sit down and see about changing the setup on my camera - but to be candid - I would rather just be able to down size the pictures as I would like to keep the detailing - if that makes any sense.

Any advice would be great! Oh and I have been messing around trying to figure this out for over a month now and have given up!

Deidre :hair: :horse: Just run me over horse and end my pain - I take that back - I know I will just be in more pain - don't run me over :ROFL: Trying to keep some humor and not jump up and down on my computer

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use photobucket, it is free and you can create an account and have an online photoalbum.
    My pics are downsized to be able to post them here on TGS. Picture quality stays the same too

www.photobucket.com

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    some other ..option ideas... :wink:

windows paint....is one..
    open the windows program ...go to file...open..find the pic you want to resize..
    go to image...to resize/ skew...set the settings from 100% down to 50% both boxes...see if the pic is small enough in the window, if not try a smaller size of 50% or 75%....until you get down to the size you need...if you make a mistake click undo on top in file area under edit...
    if all is good....then click ... save as .......put a new name on it ..so it doesn't go over your original....
    you may have to go back with the modified pic if your site doesn't accept it....make it smaller until it is accepted....

Or:

I love this program:
    There is a neat little program ..called "easy thumbnail"...I use that and it makes a smaller copy and doesn't erase the original...I have the settings.. set on 700 width 700 height......... prefix/suffix tells you.. what the modified pic... will be saved as...if there isn't tn_ showing ..then put in your own ..........go look in.. and find the pic you want to change...if it is just the one ...then highlight it....on the bottom.. it asks ...where you want to save it..................then click make....if you want all pics... in the file to be changed... then ...click on.....make all ...It is really easy... :greengrin:
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/194953

click download and then install it

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Photobucket is the BEST.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    If you're wanting a free program that can adjust the size of your pictures PhotoFiltre is great for that! I use it all the time for my graphics, but you can also just use it by uploading the photo and then opening it in PhotoFiltre, then you right click on it and you should be able to adjust the size. Then you can save it and WALA!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    photobucket iis best for your avatar - all you have to do is use the URL link and place that in your avatar link section

I could never get my pictures compressed enough so thats how I got my avatar up

8. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Thank you everyone - I will try everyones suggestions! It is just so frustrating when you want to use pictures and cannot and some pictures I cannot retake again.

Deidre :horse:

9. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I need to get back to doing stuff around the place then need to be going out shopping (animal food and stuff like that lols) - but have been playing around first on PhotoBucket - it is easy to play around with - The picture I ended up putting up for my avatar I have no problem resizing but last minute I decided to use it lols. (Pic is about 5 or 6 years old but it has me in it with my old lady Janine who is still going strong but did not settle this year or last year - pic taken at the Ohio AGS Nationals) Later I will play around with everyone elses suggestions too - I sure do appercated everyones help!

Deidre :horse:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...Deidre...good luck... :wink: :thumbup:

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio