The Goat Spot Forum banner

Concern for my does...

2K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  ksalvagno 
#1 ·
I have 2 5 year old Nubian/Lamancha does I am concerned about.

Daisie: Some said she is preggo, others say no after bumping for kids. She's had a big gut since March and she was running with a kinder buck from Nov 15th to April 1st. No hints that she is getting ready to deliver... If she isn't expecting what could her big gut be? Someone mentioned a big tape worm/worms??? Would she show other signs like loosing weight, eyelids pale etc..? She hasn't lost weight and eyelids look normal.... Any other ideas?

Rosie: she had severe copper deficiency, and we fixed that, she would always be down on her front knees:( She is still down in her front knees a lot, she is better but she is still on them way too much. I copper bolused her at the end of May, and she got a bit better... Then we thought she might have a worm, forgot the name that causes her to have holes in her hooves, and mouth abscesses. I treated her with ivermectin 1day and safeguard for 5 days... holes in hooves are no longer there, but mouth abscesses are, and she is still on her knees way too much:( Any ideas???
She might have been bred at the beginning of August, she didn't go back into heat this last week..., so now I'm concerned, maybe I should lute her?

#2 ·
A big gut can be caused by worms or she can just have a nice big rumen, which is something you want in a goat. Can you post a picture of her? Tape worms usually are not a problem in adults, they only cause issues in kids.

As for worms in the hoofs, I'm not really sure what you are talking about. They can get hoof rot that can cause ruts and such in the hoofs but that is fungal/bacteria more than worms.

What type of abscesses in her mouth? Can you post pictures of those? Where in her mouth?
What do you mean "down at the knees?" Does she walk on her knees? Are her knees bent?

#4 ·
We have a worm here in the Northwest that goes under the skin and crawls up the leg or whatever part of the body is in contact with the ground. They leave behind a little hole between the toes and sometimes go in through the sternum, mouth or the cheek while the animal is laying down. They can cause many symptoms. This is what she's talking about.

I have had goats who eat sitting on their knees simply because it's habit and/or they can reach more food quicker that way. Have you checked for an ear infection? That could affect her balance and run down into her jaw area to swell.

#5 ·
Have you had Rosie tested for CAE?

When was the last time you had a fecal done on the girls?

Daisie may just have a stretched out rumen making her look pregnant all the time.
Yes, Rosie was negative for CAE in June. I would guess that with Daisie..., however she didn't have that belly until the middle of March.. Can that all of the sudden happen?

#6 ·
We have a worm here in the Northwest that goes under the skin and crawls up the leg or whatever part of the body is in contact with the ground. They leave behind a little hole between the toes and sometimes go in through the sternum, mouth or the cheek while the animal is laying down. They can cause many symptoms. This is what she's talking about.

I have had goats who eat sitting on their knees simply because it's habit and/or they can reach more food quicker that way. Have you checked for an ear infection? That could affect her balance and run down into her jaw area to swell.
Ear infection... I've never thought of that. Do I just check for redness and swelling? Would Pen or LA200 be good to treat it if that's what it is?

#8 ·
A big gut can be caused by worms or she can just have a nice big rumen, which is something you want in a goat. Can you post a picture of her? Tape worms usually are not a problem in adults, they only cause issues in kids.

As for worms in the hoofs, I'm not really sure what you are talking about. They can get hoof rot that can cause ruts and such in the hoofs but that is fungal/bacteria more than worms.

What type of abscesses in her mouth? Can you post pictures of those? Where in her mouth?
What do you mean "down at the knees?" Does she walk on her knees? Are her knees bent?
I can post pics tomorrow morning of Rosie and her abscess. Here is some pics 1st pic of them both, second of just Daisie and the Rosie down on her knees... Check out her belly... that started in March. No Rosie's knees are not bent..., she just grazes down on them constantly.... She is walking better then she was before copper bolusing though.

Attachments

#12 ·
That looks like a tooth abscess...

#15 ·
I agree. A vet will need to see her. Antibiotics will help with infection but until the problem tooth is taken care of it won't go away.

#17 ·
Yikes! Okay... Hmmm? I'll try to get a vet to come out, however, my vet is gone until the end of the month.... And the lady filling in for him really know nothing about livestock in general... She's a cat and dog vet only:( This should be interesting.... Thanks!

#18 ·
well she should know teeth...hopefully she wil be able to help her....

BTW they are adorable!!

#19 ·
well she should know teeth...hopefully she wil be able to help her....

BTW they are adorable!!

#20 ·
Okay I called the vet and the tech called me back. She told me to inject the abscess with penicillin and to give Rosie some aspirin or ibuprofen for the pain. She didn't want to come out and look at it either, So I don't think I'll be doing that... It doesn't seem to be painful to her, so I think I'll be waiting until the actual vet gets back... I hope it doesn't get worse:(

#22 ·
I'm concerned now. I gave 7 days of Penicillin after this thread. This evening I noticed that it went down, and looks scabby with no hair on it. It looks like it's better, but could that have been CL? They were tested in June and she was negative. I would have taken a picture but it was getting a bit dark.... It didn't get huge...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.