concern regarding moldy straw

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, May 24, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    My husband bought some straw today to lay down in the mushy areas in the board-fenced area of our goat enclosure. The first bale was dry, but I found one flick that had a bit of mold on it (got rid of that piece) :GAAH:

The second bale was damp. I told him to wait, but he started spreading some of it around, including in their stalls - double :GAAH: .

When I began to freak out and show him some mold spores, we cleaned the straw out of both stalls and removed all the bedding, replacing it with their really good hay since that was all we had on hand - triple :GAAH:

I know eating moldy hay is bad . . . I imagine laying in bedding that has moldy straw is equally as bad which is why we switched it out immediately AND I moved them into the electronetting for fear of the mold spores flying all around.

How worried should I be about some of the straw that is still there (outside of their stalls)? Could they get listeriosis or something else?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt be that concerned -- I have used moldy hay for bedding before with no issues. its not ideal but it has never caused a problem in the 14 years I have had goats

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I also wouldn't worry about it.... just clean out the big obvious clumps. Mainly the wasteful little buggers are too prima donna to eat the stuff on the ground anyways! LOL Just make sure to never feed moldy hay.... straw they really only pick through occassionally so I wouldn't stress over it. :)

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I wouldn't worry about it. We grow wheat and so always use straw for the goats, every once in awhile there will be a moldy bale and if it's not very bad we usually just mix it in and around with the good straw. They don't eat it and as long as it isn't all over their bedding then they'll be just fine. We've never had any problems with it. ;)

5. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    That's a relief - I was imagining them inhaling mold spores. Luckily where it was spread is not where they typically lay and I did change out the bedding in the stalls. Thanks everyone.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with everyone...no worries.... :thumb: :greengrin:

7. Carol_fromCorning

Carol_fromCorning New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    what is the best bedding of newborn kids

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Clean straw works well. Shavings can stick to them and make a mess.

David13-5 likes this.
  9. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    I like using wasted hay from the feeders, it's usually softer and less dusty than straw. Wood shavings stick to wet kids, but they're super absorbent and fresh smelling...and a pain to clean!