concerned about a lump

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tweet444, May 8, 2009.

1. tweet444

tweet444 New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I recently noticed a lump on my Nigerian Dwarf doe (3 yrs old). It's in her upper flank, right behind her floating rib (about 6-7 inches down from her spine). It's about the size of a half walnut I'd say, though it's hard to tell. It's completely under the surface, not at all attached to the skin. It is firm, but not rock hard. I can poke at it and it doesn't seem too painful to her, but she notices if I do it too much. A picture would do no good, as you cannot see it, only feel it. There is no surface trauma at all.
    I got immediately worried about CL, but she comes from a reputable breeder, and it is certainly not at all in an abscess stage. But I'm wondering what else it could be? A hernia? It doesn't seem like a place she would have had an injection, but maybe I'm wrong. She also might be pregnant (due in august), but i don't know if that means anything. She only lives with her daughter, who is still small, so I doubt it could be a butting injury.
    It seems to have remained about the same size since i started monitoring it a few days ago.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks, I'm quite concerned!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is not a typical place for CL as it usually follows the lymphatic system.

I would tap it, personally, and see what comes out if anything. Otherwise you could have a slide made to look at the cells, or do a biopsy.

How long has she had it?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with ....Allison... very good advice :wink: ..I also believe it is not CL..... :hug:

4. tweet444

tweet444 New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I'm not sure how long she's had it. I've only had her for about a month, but I only noticed it a few days ago, when petting her. I could easily have missed it before, as it really isn't very noticeable.
    Is "tapping it" something I could do myself? What equipment would I need?
    Thanks!

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Equip needed, syrenge, needle, courage. Just poke it and pull on the needle. I think that's what they meant.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is just taking a needle and syringe and putting the needle in there to see if you can get any fluid out of it.

even though it is not a typical place for CL and you said that it is "attached" rather then in the skin, I would practice herd management just to be safe - meaning clean the area good, put down papertowels incase their is fluid, and burn what ever comes into contact with anything that comes out of it. Just a good practice to get into :wink:

7. tweet444

tweet444 New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    thanks, this is very helpful. what should I be looking for? and what should i do with any fluid that comes out? send it to a lab?

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If there is fluid definately send it to the lab - it nothing then more then likely it is some type of tumor or hematoma

9. tweet444

tweet444 New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Any labs you'd recommend? I live in the Pacific Northwest. And where might I get a syringe? Would a feed store have that sort of thing? Sorry for so many questions - I'm new to goats. Thanks!

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    yep feed store for the supplies I would use a 16 or 18 gauge needle.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    look up WADDL its in washington for testing.