Concerned about birthing Doe

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by moday, Feb 24, 2010.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I'm looking for some advice on our pregnant doe. Choppers is due the first week of March is our best guess. Her udder has dropped and we are in SE Michigan, so it's still snowy and in upper 30's/lower 40's. She is 75% Boer and 25% Alpine.

She and two other goats (doe and wether) have about an acre to roam.

I have not been locking her up at night, but I'm concerned that she will go off and have a kid(s) in the corner of her pasture and then walk away during the day or night without us seeing it. The snow is about 8 inches, so it could be bad.

The goats have two 8x16 ft barns. I have a birthing area that is 4 x 8 ft, but I don't want to leave her there all day and night if the delivery is a couple weeks off.

What do you guys suggest? Do you just let her be and she will most likely deliver in an open area of a barn or should I start locking her up on occasion.
    Her udder has dropped, but I keep looking for discharge. I've been told to look at her rear for swelling, tail head and ligaments, but I'm not sure what to look for. I just don't want to do anything that could be dangerous for kid(s) but also don't want a stressed mama goat for 2 weeks or more???

Thanks, moday

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I would definitely lock her up in the barn-just to be precautious- we had some snow here in NC and it was in the 30's-of course my goats arent used to it- but we had 1 doe bust out kid in the snow and the babies froze. I would rather be safe than sorry- You could let her out during the day while you are watching her

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she a first time mom?

Signs of imminent kidding are posting legs, tight tight udder, ligaments loosening or gone. Not always do they do the following: licking, going off feed, eating lots of feed, talking more then normal, being more friendly then normal, being more aloof then normal.

How to find ligaments: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12484
    pictures of a posty doe: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3422

what day is she on? once they are on day 140 I start checking them more often. By 145 I would be locking her up when you are gone especially if udder is tight and ligaments are going.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    is her udder just starting to fill or has it been filled and is tightening?
    At around 1 month before kidding.. the udder begins to fill....
    when it gets really tight and shiny around the bottom area...that is a good indication.... of kidding is near...
    Most does get an amber clear tube like discharge from the vulva... when they are getting very close to kidding..... they can get very verbal.... some are more friendly while others are stand off and want to be alone... not eating.. pawing getting up and down is a good sign as well....time is near.... also ...you should notice the belly drops and the tail head is super low...ligs will be gone... they may appear posty....

If you are around...during the day ...I would let her roam during the day...and take a peak at her ...here and there...then pen her up at night.... Unless she is showing any signs mentioned above....when the weather is cold and nasty....