Concerned Over Sales Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mnspinner, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I have a yearling doe I sold this past week. She went to her new home on Monday along with a wether buddy. The owners are reporting she has not eaten since yesterday and is lethargic. This doe has always been healthy, was UTD on worming/shots, etc, active and fine when she left. I even showed the owners how reddish pink her eyelids were.
    I gave them my grain to slowly mix with theirs and she's on a similar timothy hay.
    Do you think this could simply be an adjustment problem? She's not a super people friendly girl, but not aloof or skittish either.
    I did advise them to get a vet out, just because these owners are new to goats. I'm hoping she's just "off" for a day or so like they do sometimes. I advised him to give Probiotics and B complex in the meantime. None of my sales goats have ever had this happen. Any thoughts?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    She is prolly fine just off cause she has been separated from her herd. The new owners, to their credit, are probably just overly conscerned.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It sounds like it could be new surroundings...but.. have them check her temp.. just in case. If she traveled a long distance it may be shipping fever ...
    You have given them great advice on seeing a vet, that is wise.. to be sure ..she is OK.. and to give Probiotics and B complex... was good to.... :hug:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They may be messing with her to much and just need to let her settle in for a week or two. If she was fine when she left there shouldn't be to much of a problem with adjusting to her surroundings unless they are doing something or "lacking" in some area that your were. It sounds to me like she is nervous about her new surroundings maybe??

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I sold a doe who is super people friendly eats great and was up to date on shots etc. Healthy as could be. She decided she wouldtn eat unless the new owner was holding the hay and she ate it out of her hands. :roll:

Eventually she settled into her new environment and was happy and eventually made herself herd queen just like I expected her to.

As to your sale doe.... I would suggest they give nutri drench and some probios just in case she ate something at her new home that didnt sit right with her.

I do believe you have a large herd and removing her and putting her with one buddy may have caused her to go into a depression - did she have a special buddy at your farm? I know my sweet pea really missed the doe I sold for a couple weeks as she was her buddy but I didnt realize it until after I sold her how attached she had become.