concerns about a wether with horns and a 2 year old child

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mathews, Apr 5, 2008.

1. mathews

mathews New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    I looked at two Dwarfs today. A doe that is 8 months old and super friendly and a 7 week old wether that is not dis budded. Is it too late to have the wether dis budded? If it is should I worry about my 2 year old girl who will no doubt want to hug him lots. The breeder was going to talk to her vet about dis budding on monday but she thought it may be to late. Any thoughts would be very helpful... Thanks...Lee.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You can always have the horns surgically removed. If you are going to have a child around the goats, I would definately get a goatie that does not have the type of horns that a Nigerian or Pygmy have. I know the Boer horns tend to lay back more on the head, but not the dairy.

I had a 3 year old that had horns and I banded them immediately for safety (do not reccommend banding the horns).

Just my opinion!

3. mathews

mathews New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Thank you for the reply. What do you think about his age and still burning them?

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The breeder I took 2 of my kids to to be disbudded had said that it is difficult to do on a buckling beyond 4 weeks old...not impossible. Do you know how old he was when he was wethered? That plays a role in the size of his "buttons", more testosterone means bigger horns so if he was done before 2 weeks old his buttons shouldn't be very big. The tips can be snipped off so the horn fits in the iron but there is more likelihood of scurs. I can tell you that I have 3 boys here at 7 1/2 weeks old and I don't band until they are 6 weeks...their horns are as thick as my thumb at the base and are 1 1/2 to 2" long. So if you are wanting this boy but are concerned with your child and the horns possibly being an issue, you may want to choose another kid for your kid....I also hope that you'll be getting 2 goats as they do need to have a buddy.

5. mathews

mathews New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Thanks Liz. I'm getting two for sure.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can always just put tennis balls or hose on the ends of the horns until your child learns to not get near the horns. This usually helps to teach the goat to not use its horns as well

7. mathews

mathews New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    lol. Thats a great idea. I would love to take this little guy hom next week. The doe is soo friendly, she put her face against mine and I was sold!

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The tennis balls, I've not tried but I have used a rubber dog bone toy and had holes in each end to stick the tips of Bootsies horns in! The balls would be better though I think, definately easier to use!